ADHD - worth appealing?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ewok

ADHD - worth appealing?

Post by ewok »

Hi, our son sat the Kent 11+ last week. He has ADHD, is under the care of a chld psychiatrist and is taking ritalin, he has been diagnosed for just over a year now and the school are aware of the diagnosis, although he has no statement or education action plan.

During the sitting of the first paper (verbal) he became overwhelmed by the environment, pacing invigilator, noises other children made etc and became very very agitated and upset, he was taken from the room and completed the test at a table in the corridor outside the toilets (which were used during the time he was meant to be concentrating). Needless to say he did not finish the paper. All subsequent papers were sat in a separate hall with two other children who had a medical problem and had special provision made for them, this was far easier for our son and he anticipates that he has done well in these papers.

There has been a note made by the inspector of the incident during the first paper which will be submitted with his scripts, the head is very supportive and apologetic.

IF he has done well in the other papers is it worth appealing on the basis of the lack of provision during the first paper? It does seem silly to us that provision can be offered in the case of one form of disability but not another when the school has been aware of the diagnosis for so long.

Many thanks.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear ewok

Have a look at the Q&As section A5. If your son attends a Kent maintained school, and was sitting the Kent 11+, and the headteacher knew of his condition, then you might possibly have a case for appeal under disability legislation, provided that the ADHD is "more than minor or trivial". You say that he doesn't have a statement, but a statement is not a prerequisite for an appeal on disability grounds (contrary to what some people think).

Even if the disability legislation does not apply in your son's case, I would have thought you could appeal on the basis that what happened was an extenuating circumstance.

I've no local knowledge of Kent, I'm afraid, so I don't know whether there were any special requirements (e.g. that you should notify the authorities before the 11+ of any medical problems).

Hope this is of some help.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now