Academic Evidence Submitted.......

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

langley/mum

Academic Evidence Submitted.......

Post by langley/mum »

Hi again.
I'm trying to do my best and follow the advice offered by the knowlegable contributers to this forum.So i've submitted my son's appeal trying to be as factual only as possible.

Supporting letter from Head confirming...Predicted level 5 sats.Good CATS results Jan07 VR110 NVR123 Maths 121
Year's 4 & 5 good school reports(year 5,level 5 reading & 5b maths)
KS1 level 3 maths and english

I'm now looking ahead to my presentation and what could i add to this verbally,that might make a difference?We have no mitigating circumstances.

Achieved 107 in the Slough Grammar test but 117 in the Slough consortium test(111 being a pass in both tests but consortium school's way over subsribed and place may not get offered.....therefore appealing the lower result)
chad

Post by chad »

Hi Langley Mum,

AS it is the first year for Slough Grammar holding its own appeals (outside the Slough consortium) I cannot say how they are going to approach them.
Slough consortium appeals have been less than transparent and we haven't had many people post their experience of the appeals so we can really only generalise.

I know that the consortium rarely allowed appeals if the mark was under 110 but this should not be the case given mitigating circumstances and other academic evidence of achievement.
The fact that your child achieved 117 in the consortium shows that he can each the grammar school mark and this could be relevant as a child had a successful appeal (on 110) 2 years ago with achieving the pass mark in 'Bucks' as one of his submissions and with no mitigating factors.
The predicted Level 5's are excellent as are the Level 5's at the end of Y5.
If you have no mitigating circumstances then that is what you should say......that you have no idea why he didnt show his ability on that one day.... it was a complete surprise and that the panel can see from his school results.

Were the marks across the papers lower than the pass mark or was it just one area that brought down the score.
The panel may ask questions on this and others such as 'Did your son finish the papers'
'How was he on the day'
These can fluster parents as they may not have thought about it....

Hopefully someone else will give their views on this as well. :)

Best of luck..
dobbyagain

Hope to be of help

Post by dobbyagain »

Langley/Mum

We also got asked
Can you describe to us how things were on the day of the test?

We were asked how our child would feel when children discussed their scores and his were low and how would he feel if he were at the bottom of the class?
langley/mum

Post by langley/mum »

Hi,

His Slough grammar results were NVR 108 VR 102 MA 112
Slough consortium NVR 111 VR 114 MA 126

What would be considered a good answer/the right answer to those questions?
Did he finish the papers?
How did he feel the test had gone?How did he feel on the day?
How would he feel about being in a lower set/achieving class in the grammar school?How would he feel knowing other children had achieved higher results in the 11 plus?
dobbyagain

answers

Post by dobbyagain »

Hi

I don't know about your area so don't know about your scores. the answers I gave were:

Describe events on the day

I described our paticular day and I was honest ( not a lot different really)

How will he feel having low results and being bottom of the class?

I admit I wasn't expecting this one and simply replied -

'But he won't be bottom of the class - he's in the top sets and his reports show he scores really highly in class tests compared with other children.'

Not sure if this helps and of course they might not have been pivotal questions.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have often said that VR scores bear little resemblance to how children will get on at GS - it is just the bar they have to jump to get in. When they arrive at GS their NC levels are more significant and their attitude to work is key!
One of the brightest pupils I taught was VR 117 ...
langley/mum

Post by langley/mum »

I was wondering what a panel would be hoping to learn from you by asking such questions or what they could lead to?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now