Medway Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Olivia S

Medway Appeal

Post by Olivia S »

My daughter didn’t pass the Medway 11+; she missed it by 9 marks (pass mark: 525). Her class teacher, who also teaches her Maths & Science, was very surprised that she failed. I did review, but it was not successful. The report received from the review panel was scathing. I showed the report to my daughter’s class teacher, who said the report was rubbish and that the information was incorrect about our daughter’s academic abilities. The class teacher actually said that “My daughter was his star pupil.â€
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Hi Olivia S, I am sorry that you seem to be in this position. Did your head support your review?
Having read some of the discussions on this website, I found out that it is the headmaster who selects the children who passes the review.
This is not true. The headteacher definitely does NOT select who passes the review - an independent board does. The head teacher has the right to support a review or not by any child but definitely does not choose who passes the review.
That said, you still have a chance at appeal. Once allocation day comes, you can officially start the process. However it would not harm you to start gathering evidence now. Speak to your teacher and ask for projected SATS levels - are they good level 5s? Is the child's work of a consistent standard? Will your child's teacher help you pick out examples of work to be sent with the appeal?
Out of interest did you list the Kent or Medway test first on your CAF form? If you child passes the Kent, you may well get your first choice.
Olivia S

Post by Olivia S »

Hi Medwaymum,

Thank you for your advice and correcting my post about the headteacher's decision regarding the reviews. The headteacher did support my daughter's review.

On the Medway CAF form, there was a box, which you had to tick if you wanted your child to take the Kent test.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now