advice on OoS

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi wailea

The OoS is the "Order of Suitability". You can find full details here, because the system in Bucks changed this year.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=7464

Essentially the Heads are asked to rank the children on their suitability for GS, and it is one tool that an Appeal panel uses to evaluate how realistic the case in front of them is.

I haven't re-read that thread in a while, so if anything is still unclear, please do come back and ask questions.

Sally-Anne
njg

Post by njg »

Can the OoS be changed at this point?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi njg

It is extremely unlikely. The deadline for Heads to submit their recommendations was only 2 weeks ago.

The reason that the recommendations are done in advance is so they do not know the child's scores. Before the system was introduced some Heads were giving overly good reports on children who had not qualified, and appeal panels were finding it hard to make a realistic assessment of the child's ability.

I have known of one case where a Head felt that he had made a completely wrong recommendation, and he offered to approach Admissions himself to discuss it. I don't know what the outcome was though.

If you believe that your child's recommendation is inaccurate, it would be worth asking the Head what criteria s/he used to draw it up. It can sometimes happen that a Head is not as well-informed about a child's progress or ability as they should be. In such a case, the Head could put a comment on their Appeal form to the effect that "they feel, looking at the case in more detail, that they erred on the side of caution, and perhaps the child merited a higher recommendation".

Unfortunately, njg, I don't think that your Head is going to be willing to cooperate to such an extent?

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now