KENT Headteacher's appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

KENT Headteacher's appeal

Post by Guest »

Anyone get through on headteacher's appeal? If so what marks did your child have - I'm wondering how many my daughter missed it by.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Which county?

Mel

Post by Guest »

In Kent. Did your child get through?
Curious

Post by Curious »

Have seen this mentioned before. Can anyone clarify what a Head teachers appeal is? Do all countys have these? Is this something only done if the school supports the childs grammar application?

We moved home and school over a year ago and teachers are very vague in replys to my trying to find out where my son is in relation to others, as was top of year at old school.
Prior to this I had confidence in putting him in for the 11+ (Reading Grammar) Only after asking was I told that he achieved a 4c in both end of year tests (yr3), so I still have hope. But School is being so difficult, that I am quite confident that we would receive no support from them.
And am now quite worried as have read in other threads that headteachers give some sort of rating to each chid too.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Curious,

The Bucks headteachers have to return an order of suitability (pupil rating) to the LEA before the exam, but this is just the LEA practice and it is not necessarily the case elsewhere; Unfortunately, I don't know for Bekshire.
The headteacher appeal is also specific to some LEAs, and I don't think that it is the practice in Berkshire, but I can't be sure.

My son also goes to a school that refuse to give precise information on the children level, and it is really frustrating. (Although his actual teacher ignores the school policy and does help).

What is your situation? Are you appealing, on the waiting list for Reading Grammar, or is your child going to take the 11+ next year?
Curious

Post by Curious »

Hi Catherine,

Thanks for the info. My sons due to take 11+ next year. For RG they have to sit a maths, english and reasoning (VR or NVR won't know until the day), so will have to tutor for all.

As I'm at home with 3yr old, i'll home tutor, which hopefully won't present a problem as he's always up for a challenge.
I have gained a much better insight into the system from this excellent forum. But as all have said before its a big worry.

The school use him to be a mentor for the naughty children, but academically don't stretch, as he says he finds the work easy.

Why the big mystery on his level of attainment? Its all very frustrating. It would make things a lot clearer, if they would. I don't want to set him up for a fall.
HP

Post by HP »

Hi Curious,

How did he do in his Year 2 SATS. I would think that you certainly have a right to know that one.

As a rule of thumb a child is expected to move 2/3 of a level each academic year so taking 3c as a starting point for KS1 SATS (which would not be unreasonable for a prospective 11+ candidate), expected progress through the curriculum would be as follows:

End of Year 3 - Level 3a,
End of Year 4 - Level 4b
End of Year 5 - Level 5c
KS2 SATS - Level 5a

Try writing and asking nicely for a meeting with the headteacher to discuss his attainment scores.

If that doesn't work come back to the forum, can advise of other ways of requesting information but not generally recommended unless you don't mind upsetting the school :lol:

HP
HP

Post by HP »

To Curious,

P.S. Scores usually reflect on the schools ability to teach, not necessarily a reflection of your child's potential.

HP

Post by Guest »

I think you have the right to ask for your child's attainment levels - you certainly have a right under the Freedom of Information Act to ask to see his school record.

Our junior school used to produce reports that were so vague they could have applied to anybody. Then after parents mentioned this at an Ofsted inspection they changed and we now get much better, fuller reports including a curriculum level of attainment for every subject plus an attitude/application mark for each subject as well.

Nowadays I ask specifically for the latest attainment levels at parent-teacher meetings and have never been refused, though they are not often "offered" as a matter of course. I really can't understand why some schools are so mysterious about these things.

Sara

Post by Guest »

HP

I think the guide is for 3 increments every 2 years, rather than 2 every year. If a child scores 2C at KS1 SATS that is an indicator to the school that the child may not be on target to achieve level 4 at KS2. In our school a 2C triggers extra learning support in year 3.

It is a rough guide too - a struggling child may well progress more slowly; a child given the right help at the right time may make huge leaps in a very short time.

Level 4C at the end of year 3 would indicate high attainment. Should have no problem at all with 11 plus if he keeps that up.

Sara
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now