RE mark

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mumg

RE mark

Post by mumg »

I have queried today with the CSSE that I would like to see my sons answers sheets.

I have been quoted the Data protection Act and that I am not entitled to see them, and that they will not be providing them. They also told me that whilst I have a right to ask for the answers to be checked and given feedback, there will be no remarking. Incidentally, i have to write to the school where the exam was sat.
toony

Post by toony »

What is the CSSE?

I would be interested to know if you are successful in getting the papers as I would also like to get access to my own dd.

I have requested an appeals pack from Parmiters and also asked for the lowest qualifying standardised score and my childrens' marks. They have sent one appeals pack but no scores!
mumg

Post by mumg »

Toony

Sorry the CSSE is the consortium of selective schools in essex.

From what I've seen on other threads, other areas of the country, do allow access to the childs papers. Think it depends on where you live.

Good luck
Vicky

Post by Vicky »

Hi mumg

I think you're right on the area. My son didn't pass by one point, so I contacted Kent Admissions who have said that I can view the papers for 30 minutes (I can hear the Mission Impossible theme music as I think about it!!)

Apparently, because I have asked to see the papers it means that they have to be manually marked also.

Not allowed to leave the room with them, but guess somehow I'll have to manage to hide that photocopier up my jumper!!

Good luck.
Vicky
mumg

Post by mumg »

lucky you Vicky.

Maybe I'll build myself a time machine, go back in time, and move to Kent.

I'll make you some special James Bond Photographic glasses at the same time.

Apparently the exam that our children take in this area is not a national exam. This was one of the reasons given for not being able to see it. For instance ours don't do NVR, just 3 sep papers english/maths and VR.

Good luck
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

I think I would have to sneak in my camcorder or replace the papers with some other papers.

I'm not advocating this.. :roll:

AM
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

...or even a very innocent but state of the art mobile phone - perhaps borrow it from DS or DD...though they are the only ones who seem to know who to operate these things so you would have to sneak them in too! :lol: :lol:
mjjmum

Re: RE mark

Post by mjjmum »

mumg wrote:I have queried today with the CSSE that I would like to see my sons answers sheets.

I have been quoted the Data protection Act and that I am not entitled to see them, and that they will not be providing them. They also told me that whilst I have a right to ask for the answers to be checked and given feedback, there will be no remarking. Incidentally, i have to write to the school where the exam was sat.
I was under the impression that the Data Protection Act was there to protect the individual from large organisations passing on private details about them to third parties and to allow them (the individual) to view any information held about them or their dependents. I am however no legal expert!
With regards to applying to the school where the exam was sat, who marks the papers in the first place? What do they mean that the answers will be checked but not remarked? Isn't this the same thing?
Sorry if I am rambling. What do other people think?
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hi,

I have spoken to Micheala at the CSSE Office.

You say in yor first post that they wont remark the paper, but will check the answers. I would have thought that this amounts to the same thing.

If I were writing/emailing the school, I think I would be enclined to be specific about the feedback required.

Say for example, were the first 30 out of sixty anwered and the rest not attempted?

I dont know if your child had taken a multipul choice answer test, with seperate Qand A sheets, but I have heard of a child who put the answer for question 1 in question 2's box, and so on, seeming to get most answers wrong, unless you moved each answer up by one.

As you say, they dont have to give feedback, but most people are willing to help if they can.

good luck

Cindyx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now