confused by kcc advice can anyone help?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
twinmum

confused by kcc advice can anyone help?

Post by twinmum »

have copied and pasted this from kent forum sorry for two posts in different places but im such a wreck i need all the help i can get
:(
hi my husband rang the kcc today to speak to someone about what will happen now we have posted our appeal,next stage etc.

he told my husband that obviously the first thing is that as soon as possible after the 25th march they deal with the appeals for circumstances such as oversubscription,not getting schools wanted at all levels etc and after that they move on to the appeals to do with non qualification in the 11 plus.

thats very clear but he also said to my husband that not all apeals need to have a situation where parents are called into a meeting.im confused,my hubby clearly stated ours was a non qualification appeal and i was sure that every case like this calls parents in to panel but he works for them so he should know.

does anyone know about this? im not sure what to think now,i would have thought it fair that all parents get a chance to be heard but perhaps its not always needed if the evidence is complete and the case is obviously too weak or strong enough? can anyone help please?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I don't understand either. I think you or your husband need to go back to KCC and ask for clarification. Are they treating this as a statutory appeal? - If so, parents have the right to be present.
Etienne
kentmum

Post by kentmum »

This does sound a bit confusing. My understanding from last year is that they heard all the Grammar appeals first to see if this could free up places in the high schools before they held appeals for them. Which would make sense. I was even told that the school I was appealing for was holding their panel late (June) because they were hoping that the appeals for the other boy's grammar in the area might free up some of their allocated places.

I haven't heard of parental appeals going ahead without the parents unless they parents express a wish not to attend and present their case but wish it to be based on the written submission alone.

The KCC helpline was extremely good last year, they even give me advice on what to cover in the letter of appeal. Sorry you having such a confusing experience this year.
twinmum

Post by twinmum »

have rung kcc back,bloke my hubby spoke to was incorrect! all appeals are held at the same time and everyone is invited to panel as it says on this site.
thankyou for the replies though,it just didnt sound quite right to me and i was put through to the legal department this time.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now