Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Capers
capers123 wrote:sadly you can't re-appeal because you have new evidence
Permit me to make a very small correction on that. :D

It is possible (in Bucks at least) to ask for a fresh hearing where there is significant new evidence.

One example I know of is where a Head admitted that he had got some significant facts wrong in his official form for the Appeal - KS2 SATs predictions were entered wrongly, as were some other facts. Thus, the panel had not had the correct evidence in the first instance.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sally-Anne is right, provided the significant new evidence wasn't available previously. Another example (oversusbcription, this time) might be if the family move belatedly into the catchment area of the school.
Etienne
nicaukids

Post by nicaukids »

Hi Capers
Thank you for advice.... I think we're just exhausting all posibilities as he's got Quarrendon... I know we could take transfer route, but couldn't face another round plus... other options aren't great either :(

Evidence regarding numeracy - Decision making notes had Primary maths challenge as obtained in Y4, when in fact it was achieved after Y5 report in Nov 07 - Y6. Again, showing increased maturity in response to Y5 criticism.
This addressed the numeracy ability - however, is only a minor discrepancy & not enough I think to complain about.

BTW, he's in top 20 per cent accross the board.

Nicky
Katie

Post by Katie »

I understand your feelings about not being able to face the prospect of further changes / appeals. The process can be completely draining and demoralising for families.
Relating to your thoughts on the Ombudsman route, we were so grateful for the brilliant advice generously offered via this forum, and would not have embarked on the arduous journey of making a complaint without the expert advice of the moderators.
To clarify further how opinions on academic evidence can differ at appeals, and the families' percieved importance of individual pieces of evidence, our DS was ranked top in his year group for mathematics in both yrs 5 & 6 - and in yr5 had won a special commendation for achieving higher scores than many of the yr6 children in tests. It made no difference whatsoever to the panel at the appeal hearing.
It all seems to be such a minefield - thank goodness for the help and support available here on the forum.Good luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now