Capers - Any experience of being on a reconvened panel?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bougalou

Capers - Any experience of being on a reconvened panel?

Post by Bougalou »

Hi,

We've just had the appeal for our daughter (Weds). It was tough, as we imagined it would be, appealing on both grounds of unsuitability and oversubscription and lasted 1 hour and 15 minutes. We were going to find out the result this morning as the last two appeals were scheduled for yesterday. Unfortunately one of the appeal panel members became very ill on Wednesday night and therefore the remaining appeals cannot be heard until 21st April, so we now have to wait until the 22nd for an answer, which is totally understandable.
However, the Clerk to the appeal told me that if the panel member cannot carry on with his duties, and it sounded pretty serious to me, a new panel would have to be convened and we would have to do our appeal again.
Have you ever sat on such a panel? Was it any different from a "first time" appeal.
I feel a little apprehensive about this, as the school has heard all our arguments etc and may be more robust in their defence. I suppose it gives us some more time to consolidate our position, we could get more evidence from the psychologist etc in the meantime.
Any ideas, advice welcome
Bougalou
capers123

Re: Capers - Any experience of being on a reconvened panel?

Post by capers123 »

Bougalou wrote: I feel a little apprehensive about this, as the school has heard all our arguments etc and may be more robust in their defence. I suppose it gives us some more time to consolidate our position, we could get more evidence from the psychologist etc in the meantime.
Any ideas, advice welcome
Bougalou
No, I've never been on a reconvened panel.

I'd hope that the school would take the same stand that it did last time. If they were more robust, then the two 'existing' panel members would no doubt notice it. That may or may not work in your favour. Anyway, as it is a totally new appeal in effect, you could introduce more evidence (and of course, you've heard the schools side as well).

Etienne?
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's upsetting to have to wait, but, if the appeal has to be heard again, I think the advantages probably outweigh the disadvantages.

The presenting officer usually has the advantage of being on familiar territory and "knowing the ropes". This time Bougalou will know exactly what to expect and will be even more confident.

As has been mentioned, there's also the opportunity to introduce additional evidence, whereas the school case will almost certainly be the same.
Etienne