APPEAL HELP APPRECIATED

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

AMEX

APPEAL HELP APPRECIATED

Post by AMEX »

As Etienne has closed the previous thread of mine (good job, getting a headache reading it now!), I have opened up this one.

I really appreciate the advice I have been given and have spent the last week gathering my 'evidence'. The letter from the head is ready for collection tomorrow and I am waiting for my proof of filming from the TV company. The new tutor is emailing me a letter tomorrow and I already have copies of my medical certificates.

Just wanted to check, when I write disruption on his appeal form as the reason for badly performing in the eleven plus, I must surely have to explain some of it as I have all this 'evidence' to attach. I have duly noted that I should not mention death of tutor as this will probably come out in the appeal.

Also I wanted to check that a TV crew taking over our house the day before the test wouldn't be perceived as a foolish thing to allow to happen. In fairness, they were supposed to be in and out whilst he was at school but they were late arriving and therefore, overan.

His current school have told me they will support my angle of appeal and advise that he is now doing very well, totally settled and expected to get 5's in his SATS.

Just another thing I thought of......I know that some children have applied to this grammar after the offers date and got in. Admittedly, they have scored a higher mark than my son but I didn't realise this was allowed. Surely, if you haven't put a school down on your original list, you should go to the bottom of the pile. There are at least 11 children that have been added to the waiting list above my son since the offer date too. I never realised that he could move down on the waiting list. It all seems so unfair.

Still we are doing all we can for him. The appeals don't get heard until May/June so it's another long wait for that process.

I must add to any other newbee's reading this......This site has been a good focus for me with some really helpful advice. I haven't discussed my son's appeal with anyone other than my parents and other half so to have an annonymous source of information has been invaluable for me.

Thank you to everyone for your help.
Etienne

Re: APPEAL HELP APPRECIATED

Post by Etienne »

Dear Amex

Welcome back! :D

I suggest you mark the supporting documents "A", "B", "C" etc. for ease of reference.
The new tutor is emailing me a letter tomorrow and I already have copies of my medical certificates. Just wanted to check, when I write disruption on his appeal form as the reason for badly performing in the eleven plus, I must surely have to explain some of it as I have all this 'evidence' to attach. I have duly noted that I should not mention death of tutor as this will probably come out in the appeal.
You could just write: "Extenuating circumstances - disruption in the lead up to the 11+. Please see attachments A, B, C. I will be happy to answer any questions and to go into more detail at the hearing."

Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to include a letter from a private tutor. She is likely to be viewed as too close to you, and not entirely independent. Is she writing about progress in Maths or your son's emotional state?
Also I wanted to check that a TV crew taking over our house the day before the test wouldn't be perceived as a foolish thing to allow to happen. In fairness, they were supposed to be in and out whilst he was at school but they were late arriving and therefore, overan.
Yes,, it's not the fact that you had a TV crew in the day before, but that they unexpectedly overran.
His current school have told me they will support my angle of appeal and advise that he is now doing very well, totally settled and expected to get 5's in his SATS.
Good!
I never realised that he could move down on the waiting list. It all seems so unfair.
After the first round of allocations, whenever the waiting list is re-ordered, everyone is ranked strictly according to the admission criteria - no account is taken of any other factors, such as who applied first.

Regards
Etienne
mjjmum

Post by mjjmum »

Hi Amex,
I am shocked to hear that children have been given places after the offer day. How can that be? Do they have to take another test? Did they get in after other children turned down the initial places?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just not something I had ever considered.

I too am going through the same process as you, only with a different school. What a horrible time it is for us. It seems to be consuming my every waking moment.

This site however has been a lifeline and I find myself looking at it several times a day, even at work!

I wish you the best of luck.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Hi, depending on the status of the school you need to read either the LEA school admissions booklet, or the school's written admission procedures to find out how the waiting lists operate.

What Amex is describing does sound perfectly normal but he/she needs to check the written procedures if you think there is some kind of irregularity.

Beyond a certain date in some authorities the waiting list is operated by the school rather than the LEA. Theoretically this gives more scope for a school not to play by the rules and "cherry-pick" certain children off the waiting list. However, this is not legal and other parents who should have had that place could appeal if they found this to be the case.

People are frequently disappointed by the waiting list situation and that it is done according to the admissions criteria, and not on a first come first served basis.

There are several reasons for this misunderstanding. Mostly, I think it is because people do not read beyond the application stage in the LEA admissions booklet. But also many schools are slightly misleading. When you phone them to ask them your position on the waiting list they say "you are number nine" - but they don't go on to say that tomorrow you could be number 100 if a load of people who live closer to the school (or have higher scores at a super-selective), or loads of looked after children are suddenly added to the list.

So it is appeals that may jump you off the waiting list even though people higher up the list may live closer to the school, or have a higher score etc.

Good luck
AMEX

Post by AMEX »

Had a really good letter from the head with Jan scores and recent test scores in it.

Lovely bit about him being sensitive and discussing with his teacher his feelings when I went into hospital etc. This letter is the best I can hope for whilst being totally true.

Can only leave my case in the lap of the Gods now.

Thank you again for all your advice and support. Special thanks to you, Etienne, you've made this whole thing a lot more doable for me!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Good luck AMEX - keeping everything crossed for you.
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

What was a TV crew doing in your house the day before the exam?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I was desperate to ask that too!!
AMEX

Post by AMEX »

Without wishing to sound rude, I don't really want to discuss why the TV crew were in my house. It isn't relevant to this forum and it may give away my identity. I can assure you that it was all perfectly innocent though!
old-bag

good luck

Post by old-bag »

i wish you the best of luck!

hope all goes well!

this is one episode of our lives we will all undoubtedly not forget easily.

old-bag