Appeals evidence from school

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

BTW I think the school are probably quite fed up of me now for contacting them so much with regards to this and each time I call them I find myself grovelling (unfortunately).
Can't be helped - it reflects badly on them, not on you.
Also, another question I had for the panel experts was this: It sounds to me like you have to have either evidence of high academic ability or a letter of support from the head clearly indicating GS suitability. In other words we do not need to have both. So I take it from this that high academic ability implies GS suitability. However, would a letter of support carry more weight and if so, then why can't they give me a letter?
I would normally have expected to see as much evidence as possible, including support from the headteacher.
I will write a letter on the lines of '... with reference to our conversation where you stated that my DD was getting 5b's I would like this in writing in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act....'
It's the Data Protection Act! - Freedom of Information does not apply to personal data.
Should I say anything with regards to their support in the appeal or not?
No, because this is not, as far as we know, filed in school records. This is a matter to discuss with the LA.
Also, can I ask the LA whether they have specifically told school not to get involved in the appeals process?
Yes. Read out to them the quote from the Code about headteacher letters of support.
Etienne
lgasks

Post by lgasks »

Thanks for the above Etienne.

In my letter to the Head should I also quote 3.36 of the School Appeal Code?
lgasks

Post by lgasks »

Etienne wrote:
Also, can I ask the LA whether they have specifically told school not to get involved in the appeals process?
Yes. Read out to them the quote from the Code about headteacher letters of support.
I have just been on the phone to the LA. When I questioned the person heading the team for admissions, she said that they do not specifically advise HTs not to get involved in the appeal process and that it was up to the HT whether she wanted to support the appeal or not. She said that it was upto the Head whether she wanted to give me a letter of support or not. I also asked her whose responsiblity it was to update primary schools with the New Code. She said she was not sure. :?

However, one thing she said that contradicted this was that HTs were not supposed to support some secondary schools in the borough over others as this would lead to diplomatic tensions between HTs. I said that I could not see how this was relevant to my DD's appeal and anyway in my opinion she would not be saying that one school was better than another, just whether my daughter was suitable or not. The LA representative said that she would be contacting the HT of the primary school. She did not specify exactly what she would be saying to the HT and suggested that I also contacted her (but the school do not want to discuss this with me any further..?)

Where do I stand with this? What should I do? I have not yet sent the letter regarding SATS clarification. If the school had said she was achieving level 5a's that would have been better. Is level 5 b's regarded s being GS material?

I also received notification of the hearing date :( :( :() including with the LA's case. Their case just reiterates that the admission to the school is based on selection, the selection procedure is complete and that all places have been allocated.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

What follows are my thoughts on the matter, and are not intended to imply that this is the case for lgasks appeal...

There is one problem with forcing a head to write a letter of 'support'. It could be that the head just doesn't think the child is suited to a grammar school. Now if the parent appealing has a younger child at the school, is chair of the PTA, a parent governor, or a friend of the head, that could put them in a very sticky situation. I think that's why the LEA said what it did.

My guess is that in this case, the head just isn't sure that it's allowable to support your appeal. Certainly predicted 5b's are OK, as are 5c's. It's when the child is predicted L4's that I'd really be wondering if the head didn't want to support you.
Capers
lgasks

Post by lgasks »

capers123 wrote:What follows are my thoughts on the matter, and are not intended to imply that this is the case for lgasks appeal...

There is one problem with forcing a head to write a letter of 'support'. It could be that the head just doesn't think the child is suited to a grammar school. Now if the parent appealing has a younger child at the school, is chair of the PTA, a parent governor, or a friend of the head, that could put them in a very sticky situation. I think that's why the LEA said what it did. .
Thanks for this capers123. My DD's class teacher did say when I applied to appeal that the Head would be supporting me. Additionally, the Head said that she thought I had a good case as otherwise she would not be supporting me. Yet, she is unable to give this to me in writing. I think as she thought that there would be some sort of internal review she would have shown her support in that. However, anything else is something she feels she is not in a position to do (this is my understanding). So, yes I don't want to force her but perhaps at the appeal I could mention all of the above ie that the HT verbally stated that she would be supporting me and that there seemed to be some confusion in the appeal process or that the LA seemed to discourage involvement by the Head due to creating tensions between HTs across the LA (- this is what the LA stated to me in a telephone conversation).
capers123 wrote: My guess is that in this case, the head just isn't sure that it's allowable to support your appeal. Certainly predicted 5b's are OK, as are 5c's. It's when the child is predicted L4's that I'd really be wondering if the head didn't want to support you.
So, is it worth me pushing the school to give me written confirmation of level 5b's or would a letter (which I already have) stating level 5's across all subjects be sufficient?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

lgasks wrote:So, is it worth me pushing the school to give me written confirmation of level 5b's or would a letter (which I already have) stating level 5's across all subjects be sufficient?
Have a quiet word with the form teacher and ask for a note, maybe. Other than that, mention it verbally at the appeal.
Capers
lgasks

Post by lgasks »

lgasks wrote: So, yes I don't want to force her but perhaps at the appeal I could mention all of the above ie that the HT verbally stated that she would be supporting me and that there seemed to be some confusion in the appeal process or that the LA seemed to discourage involvement by the Head due to creating tensions between HTs across the LA (- this is what the LA stated to me in a telephone conversation).
Thank you capers123. Please could I have your views on the above.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No! If you're writing about the Data Protection Act, don't include other matters.

The minimum acceptable standard is usually considered to be 5c. If you have evidence that your daughter has already been achieving 5a or 5b, your case stands out as being stronger.

I think the argument about "tensions between headteachers" is a bit of a red herring. You're not asking the head to support you for a particular school. You're asking for her support regarding grammar school suitability and the impact of extenuating circumstances on performance.
Etienne
lgasks

Post by lgasks »

Etienne wrote:
No! If you're writing about the Data Protection Act, don't include other matters.

The minimum acceptable standard is usually considered to be 5c. If you have evidence that your daughter has already been achieving 5a or 5b, your case stands out as being stronger.

I think the argument about "tensions between headteachers" is a bit of a red herring. You're not asking the head to support you for a particular school. You're asking for her support regarding grammar school suitability and the impact of extenuating circumstances on performance.
I think I do agree with you Etienne; it does seem to be a red herring.

Right so...., when I write to the Head regarding the grades should I also request support regarding GS suitability and the impact of the extenuating circumstances, or write a separate letter (?) or just leave this out and mention my conversations with the school at the hearing only? Furthermore, is there any point in me calling the school again as the LA suggested, especially as the LA said they were going to be contacting the school about this?
lgasks

Post by lgasks »

lgasks wrote:

Right so...., when I write to the Head regarding the grades should I also request support regarding GS suitability and the impact of the extenuating circumstances, or write a separate letter (?) or just leave this out and mention my conversations with the school at the hearing only? Furthermore, is there any point in me calling the school again as the LA suggested, especially as the LA said they were going to be contacting the school about this?
I think I should re-phrase my question as you have already answered regarding GS suitability...sorry :oops:

In my letter requesting grades, should I also ask for confirmation of a noticeable dip in school work/performance in the period leading upto the 11+? Is performance recorded on a term by term basis by the school?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now