GS appeal advice

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kelly1

GS appeal advice

Post by kelly1 »

We are appealing for a place at GS my son did not perform well on day, no apparent reason, but is academic predicted 5a in all sats. he has also got into 2 private schools of which we have accepted a place at one. My query is do we mention this at appeal?
lottie

Post by lottie »

hi Kelly1

Did he have to pass two entrance tests to achieve his 'private' school places? If so, then it may be worth mentioning it briefly as it supports his academic ability - and that his under performance on the day was just a blip.

Good Luck
Lottie
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

I think it depends on the private schools. You don't necessarily have to be grammar school standard to pass the entrance tests for private schools. Some are very academic - others not so!

If you have enough strong evidence of ability without mentioning this I would be inclined not to. You may of course be asked at the appeal hearing what you will do if you don't win your appeal and then you would need to decide whether or not to mention this.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Sam's Mum wrote:Some are very academic - others not so!
Very true. Many of the parents who can afford to pay are not bright. Many private schools are pretty 'Comprehensive' in intake & ability, so give out grants / burseries to get the brighter ones in (and raise their exam scores). A lot of parents even pay for their children with SEN to go private on the assumption that they will get more attention.

So unless you know these schools are of the high-flying academic variety, maybe don't mention it. 5a's as predicted SATS should impress enough, but ask your school for any other evidence they can give that he is very bright.

Good luck.
Capers
kelly1

Post by kelly1 »

Thanks all. The two schools are academically good so would help to show ability but i don't want it to have a detrimental effect on the appeal if the panel think he can go to the other school so doesn't "need" GS place. It would be a struggle financially but we would manage it as local comp not particularly good!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

kelly1 wrote:Thanks all. The two schools are academically good so would help to show ability but i don't want it to have a detrimental effect on the appeal if the panel think he can go to the other school so doesn't "need" GS place. It would be a struggle financially but we would manage it as local comp not particularly good!
I think you might have to consider fibbing here. If the panel ask you what school he'll go to if unsuccessful, and you say 'private', whilst the panel shouldn't take that into consideration there's a slim chance that human nature may take its course and as you correctly summise 'so doesn't need a grammar place - let's give it to someone else'.
Capers
kelly1

Post by kelly1 »

HI
In order to keep options open until we have completely decided have also accepted a place at the local state school. So if asked the question as to where my son would go if appeal unsuccessful i can at least say that confidently!
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

Kelly1 - I am in exactly the same position as you - son failed unexpectedly by very small margin - and is at Level 5A in maths, science and literacy. We have made the same decision, and he too has passed the entrance exam for the private school close to us. So it has been interesting to read people's thoughts on disclosing this at appeal, as we have been asking the same question ourselves. And I think Capers is right - whilst it shouldn't influence the outcome, I can't help feeling that in a tight-run race, this would count against us. Good luck for the appeal(s).
kelly1

Post by kelly1 »

Hi MGSMUM

We have sent all appeal papers in now and have not mentioned private school option even though it does show ability. 450 boys sat for 60 places and it is an academic school. In an informal chat with the deputy head at the primary school, she also said not to mention it for the reasons that we said before.

Good luck with your appeal.
Kelly1