appeal failure! - experience shared and advice needed

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Hi all,
Moscow, I have also heard that a large amount of the appeals to slb were from boys that had gained the pass mark,but been offered 2nd or 3rd choice gs. The way we should look at it, is that this will mean that they will no longer want the place they were offered.
needmoretime

Post by needmoretime »

hi, moscow, good luck with next appeal, sorry about slb, last year we put this as ds first choice, he passed but the school was very oversubscribed and they took children on distance, we decided not to appeal as we got our 2nd choice (luckily we put barton court) my ds liked both schools, he is thriving there, it is a homely school and the teachers are brilliant, however i do know barton court are very oversubcribed as a first choice school this year and have 75 appeals, as ds bought home a newsletter which mentioned this.
Moscow

Post by Moscow »

Thanks for the advice NMT. Unfortunately, our second appeal is at Barton Courton 9th May! Oh well at least I will know what not to say this time and will really go for the academic evidence. Am really not hopeful and this appeal is much more scary as LEA. The panel members are all men and it lopok muc moe official.

Still,worth a try. If this fails we have oe more booked at a less popular GS in another area, so maybe this will work. If not then I am sure DS will be fine at his local high school.

Good luck all this week as we enter another week of appeals :wink:
Moscow
needmoretime

Post by needmoretime »

hi moscow, good luck anyway, you never know, out of interest which other GS school have you got down for appeal? i ask as last year DS friend did not pass and was not successful as SLB or BC but went for an appeal at another GS not on his caf and got in, and last time i saw his mum, he had settled well and was enjoying his new school, has to catch a train but children like the independence ! & if you are fortunate enough to be given a place at a good high school and decide to take i am sure your child will do well and be happy, good luck.
Moscow

Post by Moscow »

Hi NMT, the other school is Chatham House In Thanet I believe they are often undersubscribed and have been advised it is a good school to go to and that we stand a good chance with them.

Only thing is, we live near Canterbury and so will b be a long journey and he will have no friends going there but he adapts quite well as we lived in Spain for 3 years. That appeal is at the end of May so by June will will know one way or other. Have you had your appeal yet?
Moscow
needmoretime

Post by needmoretime »

Hi moscow, we are not appealing, DS passed last year but never got 1st choice due to oversubscribed school, we took 2nd choice which in the end was the perfect school for him. Yes you are correct with chatham house that was DS friends choice which he got into as like you say they are often undersubcribed, do go and see it as it is a really good school, and he never passed 11+ but circumstances were that he was unwell on actual exam day. i understand that your son will have a long journey though!
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Just thought I'd share, - like you Moscow had a very favourable response from appeal panel for comprehensive school on Thursday ( had already had an unsuccessful appeal to the GS) -panel members and DHT both praised us on the quality of our presentation, and just like you we were unsuccessful.
It sounds as if you have at least a good alternative. We are left with a secondary modern school which has just come out of special measures and are pretty desolate.
Good luck with your quest
Bougalou
Moscow

Post by Moscow »

Thankks Bougalou. Will keep you all posted. Roll on May 9th!
Moscow