The DCSF has published: Primary and Secondary School Admissions and Appeals: A Guide for Parents.
For those who don't want to plough through the Admissions and Appeals Codes, it is a simplified introduction. (It doesn't say very much about grammar schools, but then nor do the Codes!)
A free copy can be downloaded in pdf format from here:
http://publications.teachernet.gov.uk/d ... 0160-2008&
(Scroll down the page to "download options", and then "download now".)
* How the school admissions process works
* The admission rules
* What to do if you think admission arrangements are unlawful
* Choosing schools to apply for
* More children than school places: what happens?
* The Admissions Process
* What happens if you apply late or after the normal admissions round
* How the appeal process works
* The Appeal Process
* Where to find out more