No questions ?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
timid

No questions ?

Post by timid »

Hi all, I had an appeal today and I was not asked any questions by the panel . This has really unsettled me as I was sure they would ask me about how my child would cope with Grammar.This was a non qualification appeal. Should I be worried?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Difficult to know what to make of this. It could be that your case was crystal clear, and therefore the panel did not feel any need to question you.

In any event, I think it reflects badly on the panel. They ought to have made more of an effort. The ombudsman does not like it when panels ask no questions. On its own it's unlikely to amount to maladministration, but if other aspects of the process were unsatisfactory too, there might be grounds for a complaint.
Etienne
timid

Post by timid »

They did ask me about why I felt the review was unfair but nothing about the academic side. The one other question they asked was what he said when he came out of the test ,did he remark on the english test (this score was very low)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Ah, that's not quite the same as saying there were no questions. :D

In the light of the new Code they may have been advised that they cannot consider other matters unless they are given reason to think the review was inconsistent, unfair or not objective.

I'm afraid panels in different parts of the country may be approaching this issue in different ways, depending on what legal advice they have been given.
Etienne
lgasks

No questions?

Post by lgasks »

timid wrote:They did ask me about why I felt the review was unfair but nothing about the academic side. The one other question they asked was what he said when he came out of the test ,did he remark on the english test (this score was very low)
Etienne

I'm sorry if I sound really stupid here but what are the panel referring to here when they refer to "review"? Is this the head teacher review?

Also, with other question regarding coming out of the test, what are the panel trying to get at? What would be the best thing to say (or not to say) with regards to this type of question?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No problem, lgasks, but you might wish you hadn't asked this! :D

Yes, it's the headteacher review.

The old Code of Practice on Appeals was a bit vague :
The panel should not attempt to make its own assessment of a child’s ability, but may need to decide whether the original decision that the child was not of the required standard was reasonable. In doing so, it may want to consider whether any review process (see paragraph 4.62) was carried out in a consistent and objective way, and whether testing arrangements were fair
The new Code says:
3.33 Some admission authorities for grammar schools choose to operate a non-statutory or “local reviewâ€
Etienne
lgasks

Re: No questions?

Post by lgasks »

lgasks wrote: Also, with other question regarding coming out of the test, what are the panel trying to get at? What would be the best thing to say (or not to say) with regards to this type of question?
Etienne, do you have any advice on this please? Many thanks!!
lgasks

No questions?

Post by lgasks »

Timid, I'm sorry if sounds like I'm taking over your thread. I don't mean to.

Etienne

Sorry, I forgot to add that I'm still taking in the rest of what you have said regarding the review.
lgasks

No questions?

Post by lgasks »

timid wrote:They did ask me about why I felt the review was unfair
Timid, can I ask if you were aware of the review before your actual appeal and/or did you get a copy of it?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Also, with other question regarding coming out of the test, what are the panel trying to get at?
It's just possible he might have said "There was a lot of disruption in the middle of the English test," or "I suddenly felt unwell," - the panel were just fishing for anything that might have been overlooked.
Timid, can I ask if you were aware of the review before your actual appeal and/or did you get a copy of it?
I can't speak for Timid, but, if the review was to be a significant issue at the appeal, then the authority's case would have to include full details in the appeal paperwork.
I forgot to add that I'm still taking in the rest of what you have said regarding the review.
:D :D :D
Etienne