Mitigating Circumstances - Special Measures

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lgasks

Mitigating Circumstances - Special Measures

Post by lgasks »

Bexley Mum 2 wrote:Knew it was a silly question! But there is a contact number on the Ofsted home page for if you're having difficulty locating a report. Might be worth a quick ring - nothing to lose!
Ok, thanks for that will try it. :)
lgasks

Post by lgasks »

lgasks wrote:If your child has attended an under-achieving school that has been under Special Measures would this in itself count as an extenuating circumstance. The reason I ask is because there has been a lot of disruption at my DD's school in the last 4 years including frequently absent Head and then subsequent departure of Head, then new acting Head, followed by another new acting head and then 2 years earlier another new Head when the Infants school amalgamated with the Junior school! (Yes, this has all really happened!) Although my DD has been in the top groups for all subjects that have been streamed and the situation has improved in recent months I do believe she could have done a lot better if the school had not been so under-performing.

I have submitted my appeal forms as I have stated previously and I have mentioned the school being in Special Measures on the appeal form but I did not go into all the detail as outlined above. I personally think the school has failed my daughter can I say this at the appeal and mention all the above? I am assuming the appeal will be both non-qualification and oversubscription.
Etienne wrote:Yes, I think this would be valid as an extenuating circumstance, depending on what you are setting out to prove. It would help explain why KS2 predictions are not ideal, or why any curriculum-related 11+ scores are lower than they might have been.

Although it might be worth a brief mention, I wouldn't overdo it in your particular case, however, lest it distract attention from one of your strongest arguments (the problem associated with a noticeable dip in your daughter's performance that occurred over an extended period either side of the 11+, and which the headteacher can confirm).

I think you have enough in the way of extenuating circumstances. Academic evidence is the key.
I now have a copy of the Ofted report that took the school into special measures. It frequently talks about high attainers underachieving and the quality of teaching for such groups to be poor. I know that I should give this a brief mention but wanted to ask whether I should send a copy of it to the clerk in advance of the hearing?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No, I don't think they'd thank you for sending in an Ofsted report on the primary school that then has to be photocopied, issued to everyone, and studied by the panel in advance.

It's not a major argument, so keep it low key, read out a couple of key points at the hearing, and leave a copy with the clerk "for the record".
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now