School Misleading the panel during an appeal meeting?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bromley

Post by Bromley »

Oh boy!

This appeal I wrote about was for one one my twin daughters, the one with the lower scores of the two.

Today we heard that one has got a place at Wilmington the other has not. I just keep feeling the misleading answers may have been the root here.

We're so happy for one and heartbroken for the other. At this point we are holding off a day or two until we tell either what has happened.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Bromley wrote:Oh boy!

This appeal I wrote about was for one one my twin daughters, the one with the lower scores of the two.

Today we heard that one has got a place at Wilmington the other has not. I just keep feeling the misleading answers may have been the root here.

We're so happy for one and heartbroken for the other. At this point we are holding off a day or two until we tell either what has happened.
You can now appeal for the other child, and also make sure she's on the waiting list.
Capers
Bromley

Post by Bromley »

capers123 wrote:
Bromley wrote:Oh boy!

You can now appeal for the other child, and also make sure she's on the waiting list.
Let me clarify capers:
We appealed for both, one got a place the other didn't. I believe the one that didn't was prejudiced by the misleading answers. How can we appeal again?
mumsy

Post by mumsy »

Bromley

so sorry that one of your girls didnt get gain a place. Were the marks very different?? what evidence did you use?? i had HT and CT letters with current and predicted SATS, but from the letter of rejection it seems that this was not sufficient in my case and there was a lack of evidence as to why her maths result was below (3 marks) the pass mark.

Also, i have to say that i found one of the panel members not very nice (he was sitting on the right!!). He picked fault in the fact the DD's Class teacher had written To whom it may concern.

Wilmington head said he had been negative all day, what was he like at yours? he didnt even manage to crack a smile!!

So are
Bromley

Post by Bromley »

The marks were a little different and actually overlapped where one had better NVR!

We had a HT letter under duress and standardised scores and SATS predictions for both girls - not a million miles different.

It was the school's presenting officer who was negative to us, all the panel ESPECIALLY the chap on the right could not have been nicer. Go figure!
mumsy

Post by mumsy »

I must have been me he didnt like then!!!!

HT was lovely!! little old lady didnt say much but middle one was nice!!

What are you going to do now. Does your other DD have a suitable school to go to?
Bromley

Post by Bromley »

mumsy wrote:What are you going to do now. Does your other DD have a suitable school to go to?
Really don't know what we're going to do next. Probably need a day or two to think.

Regarding other DD's school being suitable. It's a nice school but really not a great match for DD in terms of its specialities which lean to language and vocation whereas both our girls are very maths and IT.
mumsy

Post by mumsy »

Yes I need a few days to compose myself and look into all my options. Not got a school at all at the mo, as one we were offered is totally unacceptable, failing and one of the worse ones in the area!! So DD will not be going there, that is for certain!!

good luck in what you decide to do, and keep us posted, I will also let the forum know my fate.

mumsy
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Bromley wrote: Let me clarify capers:
We appealed for both, one got a place the other didn't. I believe the one that didn't was prejudiced by the misleading answers. How can we appeal again?
OK, mind is now muddied by wine. However, there has now been a material change in circumstances / new evidence. Your non-winning appeal child will now have a sibling in the school, which they didn't when the appeal was heard. I think you could re-appeal on those grounds. Etienne - your opinion, please!
Capers
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

All the best to both of you. We had our (unsuccessful) appeals earlier in the month and although we are still absolutely sure that the school allocated is completely unsuitable for our daughter, I do think we have come to terms with it. In appealing for your child/ children you have shown that you are concerned parents, and I'm sure with your support that they will do well, wherever they go.
Again, with best wishes
bougalou