General question about appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Marylou

General question about appeals

Post by Marylou »

It might seem a bit of a daft question, but...

If a school's admissions are managed by the LA, and the appeals are therefore effectively against the LA's decision and not the school's, does the school itself receive details of oversubscription appeal applicants? In other words, is it sent copies of the individual cases, or simply told "x number of appeals this year" so that it can help prepare the Stage 1 case?

Thanks! :)
Marylou
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hi there,

I feel sure that they only know, maybe, how many children are appealing.
I would have thought, so that they can know how long the schools representative will take during the appeals process.
After all it is not thier decision, but the panels who they would put forward
irrospective of the school stating that they are over subscribed.

At the begining of our appeal, the school representative stated thier case,
full to bursting. We took the advice of this website and said that we accepted that this was thier case, and we did not refer to it again, but just continued by saying about Christophers acheivements.
The school representative looked relieved, as did the panel. I am sure
they hear lots of arguments like, "last year you accepted 19 more pupils from appeal even though you stated then that you were oversubscribed."

Perhaps, this is not the point to be made, perhaps one needs to prove
a childs consistent ability/or a blip on the day due to whatever

take care

Cindy
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If a school's admissions are managed by the LA, and the appeals are therefore effectively against the LA's decision and not the school's, does the school itself receive details of oversubscription appeal applicants? In other words, is it sent copies of the individual cases ....
No, in this situation the school should not receive copies of individual cases.
Etienne
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

OK - thanks!

All clear now. :)
Marylou
cindy

Post by cindy »

Etienne is the expert.

Cindy
watdad

Post by watdad »

From my experience, we appealed, appeal run by local authority. The School still attend to state their case.

I assume it depend on the Schools status i.e. ours was a VA school,

Obviously with the school attending a copy of all papers were sent to the school.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Hi Watdad,

Yes, I think VA and foundation schools would need to take the lead at appeals as they are the ones that would have refused the application in the first place. The school we would be appealing for is VC and its entire KS3 allocation process is handled by the LA. It manages its own admissions at KS4 and 6th form, though, so presumably would have to defend its own decisions at appeals for places in Y10 or higher.

The reason I asked the question was that a school might be interested in knowing the reasons for its popularity (you would certainly expect it to want to know why if the opposite were the case! :wink: )
Marylou
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Marylou

Just to clarify - in your particular situation, although the LA delegates responsibility to the schools for KS4 grammar school testing and for 6th form entry, the LA's appeals team will still be organising appeals, and the case on behalf of the school will be presented by a LA representative.

The school Watdad is referring to is an own-admission authority school and free to do what it likes. It could run its own appeals but chooses to "hire" a LA panel to hear appeals on its behalf.

Regards
Etienne
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Thanks Etienne! :) We tend not to hear so much about appeals for later stages so that's quite useful to know.
Marylou