Failed appeal for Parmiter's

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
watdad

Post by watdad »

Toony did you get my PM?

I got a rude letter today from the Deputy Head accusing me of trying to cause trouble by writing to them and sending a copy to the ombudsman. Denying avidly what I claimed happened during the process.

What annoys me most is I wrote to the Head addressing it private and confidential and he couldn’t even be bothered to reply himself! – Even further justifies my position of telling them what to do with their place (IMO).

If you haven’t yet written yourself (to the ombudsman) it might add weight. I appreciate it might be difficult for you particularly if you still want a place....

Don’t get stressed by Parmiters, I think only appeals based on error work every year. I guess the answer is they are not selective but are only applying the admission criteria, if I remember in my appeal the head made a point of saying this.

To put it into perspective WGSB said they were not overcrowded and would welcome any child they felt they panel were deserving of a place, in front of the panel.

In theory you could prove a need that the school can offer something that another can’t. But I tried that route some it would need to be a very strong need. Perhaps a welfare one ie rely on child care from a parent of another pupil, its my nearest school and I don’t drive etc...

My understanding is this year’s intake September 09 is the last of the Sibling rule? – However I would have thought we two twins there you have great grounds for appeal........
WP

Post by WP »

watdad wrote:My understanding is this year’s intake September 09 is the last of the Sibling rule?
I don't think that's right. The admissions code is unclear, and the schools seem determined to keep their sibling criteria. Then we wait to see whether there's an objection, and if so what the adjudicator does with it.
watdad

Post by watdad »

WP wrote:
watdad wrote:My understanding is this year’s intake September 09 is the last of the Sibling rule?
I don't think that's right. The admissions code is unclear, and the schools seem determined to keep their sibling criteria. Then we wait to see whether there's an objection, and if so what the adjudicator does with it.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... hools.html
WP

Post by WP »

watdad wrote:
WP wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... hools.html
That was written before the admissions code was finalized. Here's a later story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... takes.html

The relevant part of the Admissions Code is paragraphs 2.21-23.
watdad

Post by watdad »

To be fair that report is 18 month out of date also! Most people I speak to at the junior school feel the same i.e. this next round of admissions is the last for siblings, unless it is just due for review again?

To be honest I have mixed views of the sibling rule. I have another Son myself so I don’t really want to have to go through all this again but.....

If you are going to have a criterion that is selective then surely it is only fair to apply it to every child that wishes to attend the school.

Sure there are logistic arguments but most school now lay on a bus service, perhaps it encourage more parents to apply for their local school.

More topical / local story

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/1 ... from_rule/
WP

Post by WP »

watdad wrote:To be fair that report is 18 month out of date also! Most people I speak to at the junior school feel the same i.e. this next round of admissions is the last for siblings, unless it is just due for review again?
The government has delegated changes to local arrangements to the Schools Adjudicators, governed by the Admissions Code. Their only involvement is to revise the Code if they don't like how it is being interpreted, as they did in 2003 and 2007. Each year the schools publish their proposals (Mar/Apr), objections can be lodged and the adjudicators rule on any objections (over the summer), though they won't consider the same objection two years in a row. So the sibling criterion for any given school could be struck any year, including 2009 entry, but only if
  1. an objection to the sibling criterion is lodged by an LEA or another school, and
  2. the adjudicator, interpreting the unclear wording of the Code, decides that the sibling criterion should go.
In everything I've heard from the schools, they all stress the importance of the family link, and seem determined to keep the sibling criterion. They realize that this process is a ratchet, and have historically not given up anything without a fight.
However the possible local exemption mooted there did not materialize.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now