Failed appeal for Parmiter's

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
toony

Ricky CI list

Post by toony »

I'm not sure where we are on the list - I guess we could now be right near the top. However we would not accept a place at Ricky now.

It is about 12-15 minutes to Ricky from us through the lanes in the car. There is a public bus from the top of our road but it goes round the houses and takes well over an hour. So not a lot of advantage in terms of travelling.

I wonder if the up and coming 'taster' day has forced one or two people who have been hanging onto their places to make a decision and hence freed up several places? Or perhaps they didn't let many through on appeal and are topping up from the list - could they do that?

A friend of mine who teaches at a private school said she has just found out that two of her pupils are hanging onto Boys Grammar places but have not given notice at their current school (they go up to age 13 at this prep) and would therefore be liable to pay the next terms fees.

I know of another child who got a place at Parmiter's as a result of a child not turning up to their taster day last year.
watmum

Post by watmum »

I know of two children getting places for year 7 in the Sept, on the second day of term because two children just did not trun up and their parents did not bother/forgot to decline their places!
tense

Post by tense »

Maybe there is still chance at Parmiter's then?

Where are your children on the CI list?

T x
watmum

Post by watmum »

Do not have a child on the CI list Tense.

We went through the hideous process ourselves several years ago, and have another "in the wings" for next year.
tense

Post by tense »

Sorry Watmum, I didn't make myself clear! I meant Watdad's & Toony's children. I remember from your other posts that you are already a Parmiter's parent (as I will be from September...).

Tense x
toony

appeal results

Post by toony »

Appeal results for KL were out today. Of the many parents that I know appealed for this particular school, 2 were successful.

One on medical grounds and the other because County had incorrectly offered a place and then withdrawn the offer after it was realised a mistake had been made.

So basically in Herts you will only win an appeal if there has been an error or if you have severe provable medical reasons for getting a place.

And as for any of the selective schools - well there would seem to be virtually no point in even trying. Sorry if that sounds negative but it would appear to be the reality round here.
toony

Parmiter's appeal

Post by toony »

I have just found out that the appeal panel only upheld one appeal for Parmiter's out of the 60 they heard!

Apparently this was on a 'technicality' so presumably there was some mistake made in the way the admissions criteria were applied.

What I cannot get my head around is how the panel could possibly believe that Parmiter's is such an overcrowded school that they can only 'afford' to admit one additional pupil.

One only has to visit the school to realise that the grounds, facilities, building and staff are far better than say, a school like Ricky where I could well believe that there overcrowding issues. Yet Ricky routinely allow 8-10 through on appeal!

I believe that the panel are not allowed, under the code of practice, to visit the school prior to the appeal and yet surely a visit to the school, whilst it is at work, would clearly show whether there was spare capacity.

The whole process from start to finish - now about 10 months from the initial open evenings has been very stressful for all of us. I just hope that Queens' hasn't been forced to get rid of their sibling criterion before my youngest applies in 2011.
tense

Post by tense »

Blimey Toony, where do you get all this information?! :shock:

Re: appeals. Surely it's better that a school has a realistic admissions number than "routinely" allows X appeals through? It would save a number of families from the stress you've been through.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sibling rule. If Queens' is forced to drop it, I should think the other schools in the consortium would be too.
toony

Post by toony »

I have friends in high places you know! :lol:

My sources are secret but I assure you very reliable. :wink:

The particular worry with Queens' is that they have carried on selecting 35% whereas all the others have reduced to 25% this year supposedly so that they can keep their sibling rule.
WP

Post by WP »

toony wrote:The particular worry with Queens' is that they have carried on selecting 35% whereas all the others have reduced to 25% this year supposedly so that they can keep their sibling rule.
That wasn't it: they were forced to 25% because of a late amendment to the Education and Inspections Act 2006 that limited selection to the lowest level since 1997, and these schools had been made to use 25% in 2005 by an adjudicator, while Queens' and Dame Alice Owens escaped. Certainly it has left Queens' and DAO standing out, though.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now