Late Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Josh Payne

Late Appeal

Post by Josh Payne »

I took the 11+ Examination in 2005. I have been wondering wether I should takke the 13+, So I looked up the Pass mark for Bishop's Wordsworth school in Salisbury and found the pass mark was 500+. I made a score of 500, So I should have been accepted, Would there be any use in Appealing to be accepted in September this year?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I am fairly sure you will need to resit. In Bucks a 'qualifying' score only lasts a year. Why don't you contact the school and ask?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hello, Josh

Are you sure the pass mark in 2005 was also 500?

Your parents ought to have received a letter following the 2005 exam, explaining why you weren't being offered a place. Could you tell us exactly what that letter said?
Etienne
Josh Payne

Post by Josh Payne »

I had my results in Mathematics, English and Verbal Reasoning on the paper, It said I had not been accepted into Bishop's.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

But did they give a reason, Josh?
(e.g. "Your total score was X, which was Y marks below the qualifying score, so we regret we are unable to offer a place.")

We need to establish what the pass mark was for the 2005 exam, and whether the school made a mistake.

Secondly, would you have got a place if you had qualified? How did the school deal with the issue of too many successful candidates for 2006 entry?

Under their current rules,
[quote]The priority used to rank boys for admission is determined by the following oversubscription criteria in the order shown below:

a. Boys in Public Care.

b. Boys who live in the School’s designated area. The address is the place where the child is permanently resident with his parent or parents or legal guardians. Documentary evidence of residence not more than 6 months old may be required. (eg the child’s NHS medical card and the parent’s/guardian’s recent utilities bill, bank statement, or tenancy agreement). Where a child lives with parents with shared responsibility each part of the week, the “home addressâ€
Etienne
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Josh, what is making you want to move schools? Have you had a chance to chat to a parent about them?

Good luck Josh. It's lovely to see someone on this site take the initiative themselves and not leave it all to a parent or carer!
Josh Payne

Post by Josh Payne »

Well, My current school's best Teachers have been made to leave, due to being there 20+ Years to make way for younger, cheaper teachers, The only thing keeping me at my school was those Teachers that could actually teach you something, The other teachers cannot control the class.

As far as I can remember they did not actually tell me my score, nor the pass mark. And, Yes, If I had qualified I would've got a place, I live just around the corner from Bishop's.

And Thank you for wishing me luck. ^^
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Josh

To answer your original question, I've never heard of such a late appeal, but in theory I cannot see why it couldn't be made. According to the Code of Practice, there is no statutory time limit for submitting an appeal.

If your case is that the school made a mistake, and that as a result of that mistake you were denied a place to which you would otherwise have been entitled, this would certainly be grounds for an appeal.

However, the facts do need to be established. I suggest you and your parents follow up Guest55's advice and contact the school's admissions secretary for an explanation. If they won't co-operate, the Data Protection Act gives your family right of access to your personal information. If the school claim not to have retained your personal record, you can still insist on information such as the previous pass mark and oversubscription criteria - but it would be under the Freedom of Information Act.

The fact that you live very close to the school may or may not be relevant. It depends what the oversubscription rules were for 2006. Some grammar schools do not use catchment areas or distance to deal with oversubscription - they award places to candidates on the basis of who had the highest scores. In theory the oversubscription rules can change every year (just as, in theory, the pass mark could be different).

I join Perplexed in wishing you the very best of luck, and hope you succeed either by an appeal or via the 13+.
Etienne
Josh Payne

Post by Josh Payne »

Thank you for being a great help. I will try and get my Parents to ring at the earliest possible date.

Josh.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

If the plan to move schools fails Josh, remember that all is not lost. Usually the rules of entry to a selective school 6th form are quite different; the normal thing is to apply well in advance (sometimes over a year in advance - don't miss the boat when the time comes) and receive an offer conditional upon your GCSE results.

It is possible to get great GCSE results despite rubbish teachers. Take a look in a big WH Smiths, and on the web, at all the GCSE study guides and you will see that everything is covered in the greatest of detail.

A lot of these things are written so clearly that you can self-teach, and practice lots of past exam questions at home.

My impression (as a wicked stepmother) of most GCSEs these days is that you can get great grades by plugging away little and often at these guides throughout years 10 and 11. Also, the GCSE exams in Year 11 seem to be so short and well spaced that there is plenty of time between the exams themselves for revision.

Make sure your school lets you know well in advance of any module exams, coursework etc so that you are well prepared.

And remember that there can be a great advantage to staying all the way through at a school with mediocre to poor results - if you personally do well you are rated more highly by some top universities than if you had been to a school where it was easy to do well.

Do you have any good friends there? Anyone else who feels like you and would join in with secret study sessions?!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now