Kent Test - 1 Mark - Glandular Fever

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
charlottesmum

Kent Test - 1 Mark - Glandular Fever

Post by charlottesmum »

My daughter just failed by 1 mark in the Kent Test (and all papers passed).

During the test she was unwell (supported by a doctors letter) which was later confirmed as Glandular Fever after the test was complete (supported by blood test / doctors certificate). This confirmation was received 2 days prior to the headteachers appeal and was submitted with full support of the headteacher.

The comments received from the "panel" did not mention this mitigating circumstance. We feel that they disregarded this evidence... and now we are consdering appealing... Do you have any advice on appealing as well as any actions we can take in the meantime against this potential unfairness.

We look forward to hearing your comments. Thanks :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Any sort of internal review or headteacher assessment is a non-statutory "optional extra", so it is up to your own LA to decide what to do if you have a query about whether it was conducted properly. In most cases I'm pretty sure they will argue that any issues you have can be taken into account at the statutory appeal.

Certainly, if the clerk's notes of a statutory appeal were to make no reference at all to your extenuating circumstances, then in that situation you would have grounds for a complaint to the ombudsman. However, if you were to complain now to the ombudsman about what happened at the headteacher assessment, I suspect he would say "You have the right of appeal. Come back to me after the appeal if there's still a problem!"

For general advice on appeals, follow the link to the Q&As at the top of the page.

Hope this is of some help.
Etienne
charlottesmum

Post by charlottesmum »

Thank you Etienne for all your valuable assistance
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now