App

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ssbjham

App

Post by ssbjham »

Hi,Does anybody know if you can appeal the result of the Kent 11+ test.
My son got the past mark of 360 with VR being 137 but really bombed on the NVR 105 which was very unexpected as he has always been around the 120 mark.Found out today that my Headteacher is behind us all the way and did do a HT appeal but was unsuccessful. I know that we have to wait until 2/3/2009 to appeal to the schools but was wondering if there is any process that we can go through before the scaf paper has to be in?
Thanks
Etienne

Re: Appeals

Post by Etienne »

Dear ssbjham

Welcome!

You should be able to appeal against the 11+ result itself, but will have to wait for the statutory appeal.
  • Secondary admissions round – appeals for on-time applications (i.e. those relating to
    decisions sent on national offer date) must be heard by 6 July or the next working day, if 6 July falls on a weekend.
In addition to considering oversubscription,
an appeal panel may be asked to consider an appeal where the parents believe that their child did not perform at their best on the day of the entrance test and, as a consequence, did not reach the required academic standard.

Code: Select all

[/quote]
Before a statutory appeal takes place, some LAs (such as Kent) may conduct an internal review (the "headteacher appeal").  I'm not aware of any other process before the statutory appeal.

Be warned that an internal review may limit your rights at a statutory appeal:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewtopic.php?t=5499
(See the section in red, and the subsequent post dated 26th September.)
As far as I know, this was not a problem in Kent last year.
Etienne
capers123

Re: App

Post by capers123 »

ssbjham wrote:I know that we have to wait until 2/3/2009 to appeal to the schools
The logic behind that date is that until you have not been allocated the school (which happens on that date), you can't appeal against not being allocated it.

You'll just have to sit tight and start building up evidence for the appeal. It is also well worth looking at other schools just in case you don't win the appeal, so at least you get a good second-preference.

We've not had the test in Gloucestershire yet (2 weeks to go), but we took our DD round all the local schools, and luckily the catchment school is pretty good (even 'though it's an extra 5 mins walk past the girls grammar), and more to the point, DD liked it almost as much as the grammar (helped by friends from Woodcraft Folk & Saturday music bouncing up to her while she looked round). In some ways it's taken the pressure off her a little, so she's less likely to get stressed out in the exam. Meanwhile, some of her friends dislike strongly their catchment schools (which are still pretty good compared with many schools), and is already stressy about the test.
Capers
ssbjham

Post by ssbjham »

What exactly is the Statutory appeal is it the one that they have when you have been allocated a school? Also somebody mentioned that you can appeal against the HT appeal being unsuccessful if you could prove it was unfair.Does anybody have any idea how you would find out if it was?At the time of the HT appeal she was not aware of certain circumstances that could have affected my childs result.

While I am posting I would like to say thank you ,to all of you ,who have given myself and others who are in my position , support ,understanding and kind thoughts.Thank you it is really appreciated.
SSBJHAM
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

By law you have the right to appeal against a decision to refuse your child a school place. This is the "statutory appeal".

Anything else (such as a headteacher review) is an optional extra, so it is up to the LA to decide what to do if you have a query about what happened at the review. I suspect they will argue that any new evidence can be taken into account at the statutory appeal.
Etienne
ssbjham

Post by ssbjham »

Thank you Etienne.By LA does that mean county or district authority.Sorry :oops:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No problem!

For you, I think, it's Kent C.C.

Personally I preferred the old terminology (LEA)! :)
Etienne
ssbjham

Post by ssbjham »

I think you are all correct that I cannot appeal against the Kent Test result but will have to wait until March.
Does anybody know how I go about appealing to lets say TWGSFB if my son was assessed as not passing the 11+? and does anybody have any idea how many children get into a grammar school if they haven't passed the it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now