Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:52 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:39 pm
Posts: 46
Hi,
My son sat the Gloucester test earlier this month. We got the results today. He has qualified for consideration at Tommy Rich's but missed out on Pates by 7 points (standardised score of 233). Is this a lot? And considering that 7 more points would still put him at the bottom of the 160 qualifying students, is it worth appealing?

When he sat the exam, he found that he desparately needed to go to the loo (No 2s) and couldn't hold on any longer. This meant he missed the last 10 - 15 questions (his estimate). He said that last year students who went to the loo were given the extra time when they returned (he was told this by his helper at Pate's). However, when he returned, he was not given this time. It seems such a shame that he should be penalised for having to visit the toilet. I don't know if he would have gained the necessary points if he had managed to stay till the end of the test. I'm not at all sure what I should do. I really like Tommy Rich's and I'm sure my son will flourish there but I know how dissapointed he will be in missing out on Pate's.

Any advise, gratefully received.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 8:03 pm
Posts: 1827
Location: Gloucestershire
mcs wrote:
Hi,
My son sat the Gloucester test earlier this month. We got the results today. He has qualified for consideration at Tommy Rich's but missed out on Pates by 7 points (standardised score of 233). Is this a lot? And considering that 7 more points would still put him at the bottom of the 160 qualifying students, is it worth appealing?

When he sat the exam, he found that he desparately needed to go to the loo (No 2s) and couldn't hold on any longer. This meant he missed the last 10 - 15 questions (his estimate). He said that last year students who went to the loo were given the extra time when they returned (he was told this by his helper at Pate's). However, when he returned, he was not given this time. It seems such a shame that he should be penalised for having to visit the toilet. I don't know if he would have gained the necessary points if he had managed to stay till the end of the test. I'm not at all sure what I should do. I really like Tommy Rich's and I'm sure my son will flourish there but I know how dissapointed he will be in missing out on Pate's.

Hi,

Firstly, you can't appeal yet. No places will be allocated in Glos until March - the results you got today were 'indicative', and you can only appeal once you've got the letter stating what school is offered.

What I would do is put on the preferences form: 1) Pates, 2) Tommy Rich's, 3) Crypt (if you want that), 4) A sensible local comp that would be bearable.

Hopefully, come March, you'll get an offer for Tommy Rich's. Then you could appeal for Pates safe in the knowledge that you have STR, and loose nothing!

Good luck.

_________________
Capers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:39 pm
Posts: 46
Thank you for this Capers.
I had no idea we could still choose Pate's as preference!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 8:03 pm
Posts: 1827
Location: Gloucestershire
You can put anything you like as a preference.

What happens next is that Shire Hall will get lists of pass positions from each school. They match these up with the preferences put by parents, and offer places to the top scoring 120 pupils who put a school as first preference.

At the same time as this, if you have not got into your first preference school (say you didn't get a high enough score for Pates), then your second choice becomes your effective first choice, so if you've put STR 2nd, and have a high enough score for it, then you'll get that.

It's also worth considering which school your son will flourish best in - I'm glad my parents chose a more relaxed, mixed, grammar than the higher pressure single sex, but closer to home one - I had offers from both.

_________________
Capers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:39 pm
Posts: 46
capers123 wrote:
It's also worth considering which school your son will flourish best in - I'm glad my parents chose a more relaxed, mixed, grammar than the higher pressure single gender, but closer to home one - I had offers from both.


I couldn't agree more. I have said from the onset that I preferred STR's. I find it a more warm and friendly place, and in my heart I'm certain my son will do just as well there.

We told him this evening and as expected, he was devastated not to get Pate's. Passing for STR's is a fantastic achievement and we are so proud of him. Hopefully, in good time, he too will see it that way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:05 pm
Posts: 660
................


Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:32 pm
Posts: 25
Location: Cheltenham
mcs wrote:
missed out on Pates by 7 points (standardised score of 233).


Can I ask where you get the figure of 240 from as a qualifying score? Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 8:03 pm
Posts: 1827
Location: Gloucestershire
mcs wrote:
We told him this evening and as expected, he was devastated not to get Pate's. Passing for STR's is a fantastic achievement and we are so proud of him. Hopefully, in good time, he too will see it that way.


What's 'silly' about all this is that we're talking grammar schools here, and getting into any of them still means you're pretty bright and is a very good acheivement.

We didn't bother looking at Pates because 1) it's too far a hike from home and b) I don't think DD would flourish there, whereas she will at Stroud High.

Don't be disheartened!

_________________
Capers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:39 pm
Posts: 46
Jimi wrote:
mcs wrote:
missed out on Pates by 7 points (standardised score of 233).


Can I ask where you get the figure of 240 from as a qualifying score? Thanks.


I got it from this document which is actually for 2007:
http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/media ... /Pates.doc

As it turns out the minimum mark for this year seems to be 237 (I got this figure from a forum member who's son got into the bottom 160). So it seems my son missed qualifying by just 4 marks....Rotten luck!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:39 pm
Posts: 46
Glos_Mum wrote:

By the sound of things, your son will flourish at either school. If you do decide to persue the appeal route, I wish you much luck and we'll be here to support you on the Gloucester forum too.


Thanks Glos_Mum.
We are going to speak to his form teacher and head this week and get their opinion. All his teachers seemed to think he would get into Pate's.

It's really strange, I should be feeling elated that he has passed for Tommys, particularly since I preferred it, but all I can feel is his disappointment. He seems quite bright today though. Hopefully the 2nd March will bring us news worth celebrating. I'm not counting chickens, although my husband seems very confident (I just hope he's got his stats right).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016