Appeal result arrived today!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Justine

Appeal result arrived today!

Post by Justine »

Thank the lord, we have been successful with our appeal! I would never have thought those words could mean so much!! :lol:
I wish to thank everyone on this site for their valued help and support. I know for sure that this could have been very different had this resource not been available to us and therefore we hope the site continues to have a long life to enable others in the same situation as us to attain the same result.
I wish to especially thank Sally-Anne and Etienne, who without their comments and guidance I know I would have been far less confident and probably not have highlighted areas of most importance.
To all those embarking on this very stressful and difficult time in life, I wish you all the very best of luck and keep the faith.

Thanks once again, Justine.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thank you, Justine, and many congratulations.

Wonderful news!
Etienne
stressed mum

Post by stressed mum »

Well done Justine.
What a relief for you.
A great feeling!!!!
SM : :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Great news Justine ...
panickingmum

Congratulations!

Post by panickingmum »

Congratulations!

PM
Justine

appeal result arrived today!

Post by Justine »

I am very grateful for the lovely words of congratulations, appreciate them.
I wanted however to add a pointer or two to my experience of our appeal and maybe they can help one or two others.
I made sure my presentation highlighted all of our main points, i.e. 1:1 level 5's, CAT =90-96th percentile as opposed to the score as this seemed to be a little low and I would have left it out had I had a choice but our head added it to his report and so this was the way I presented it to skirt around the low mark. 90-96th percentile stilled proved that he was above average academically though, luckily.
I also used quotes from my DD's HT recommendation report, Yr 5 school report and DD's school books which made comment to his ability and suitability to a Grammar.(Fast pace, hard work made easy etc)
I summed up the presentation with the fact that comments had been made as to DD's suitability and then added the major points again.

I was asked, "has DD looked at any papers prior to the test?"
"The CAT scores show that he is stronger in maths, would you agree with this?" This was a weird one as the test did suggest he was very able in maths but in fact his Yr 5 report suggested English was his strongest subject, so a little tricky to answer. I said yes the test did show Maths to be his strongest subject but he has always sat quite equal in all subjects but if you asked him he would tell you English was his favourite subject and I would suggest he was a little more confident in English.
"How did he feel he had done in both of the tests, and did he complete them?"
"What does he do in his spare time?" This I was a little lost because I repeated at first what I had explained earlier as to his hobbies but they wanted to know what he did when he had free time at home, you know those quiet moments. Here I said he read. I went blank with this one as I wasn't expecting it.
"What did his head teacher say when you went to see him about this appeal?" I just repeated almost what he had put on his report and about how shocked he was at the fact that he had failed.
They did go on about the fact that although he got 119, 121 was the minimum required and so I think this was just trying to understand why he missed when he was expected by so many to pass.
The LEA officer though kindly helped us, I think..... he asked if DD had a tendency to rush and not read the question. We answered yes and he seemed to elaborate for us how he felt many able children sometimes had a tendency to do this, thereby satisfying the panel as to a possible reason why DD was short on marks.
One point that I slipped up on although not realising until I analysed everything afterwards but I made comment to a quote from a teacher next to a certain book DD had read and how the teacher had found it to by a very good choice and a mature book to be reading etc, and one of the panel members asked me which book and what made DD choose to read it. I said which book I thought it was and the reason DD chose it only to find out that the book title was wrong, the author was correct though. Therefore I urge you to make sure you know your evidence inside and out as this could have been a huge slip up.
That was the bulk of our questions and so maybe this could help any others who are about to be heard at their appeal. I wish you all the very best of luck, whoever you are.
Thank you once again for everyone's time, encouragement and vital suggestions that made our appeal a successful one.

Justine
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

thank you for the thorough explanation of your appeal, and well done
bougalou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Justine

I have been otherwise engaged since you posted your result, but I am also delighted for you.

Congratulations to you, and the best of luck to your DD.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now