Asperger's Syndrome extenuating circumstances?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wailea

Post by wailea »

Hello

I have now received the papers from the LA for our appeal next week and these are the school recommendations figures:

1:1 21(19)
1:2 9 (4)
1:3 4(0)
2:1 1(1)
2:2 3(2)
3:1 0(0)

I have learnt today that the other child with 1:1 has won its appeal.

Could you please comment on these figures? Do they work in our favour?

Many thanks
Wailea
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Wailea

Taken as a whole, the "1s" are not as good as one might expect. The "2s" are very good, although there are surprisingly few. It begs the question whether some of the 1:2s and 1:3s should really have been "2" recommendations.

What is reassuring for you is that the 1:1s are very accurate. The panel can easily see that there are just two "anomalies" - and it's good news that the other child has had a successful appeal!
Etienne
wailea

Post by wailea »

SUCCESS!

we had the appeal on Thursday and the letter arrived this morning. We are through. What a relief!

Just a few things that might help other parents appealing in Bucks:
- you can ask for a manual recount of the tests within 25 days of the results being received. You are then sent a detailed report of how many questions were answered correctly/incorrectly for each section and the type of question it was and the actual raw scores. There is a charge of £10 (not sure where it is because we requested the information passed the deadline or not).
The important thing is that the report is automatically added to the file and passed on to the panel. We did not know that! The LA rep had actually gone through it carefully to try and identify patterns. I would suggest making it very clear that you do not want the report included in the file as you don't know whether the information will work in your favour or not.

questions we were asked
- did he have siblings? how did they get on? what were they like?
- how would he cope with gs, the actual environment (not academically)?
- how did he do with the familiarisation papers? did he bring them home?
- was he tutored?
- examples of his lateral thinking (this was something his teacher had written)
- how did he feel after the tests?
- some questions relating to our extenuating circumstance.
- did we practise papers at home?
- and the most bizarre: did he like shopping???

They were not confrontational, did not challenge anything we said, were trying to understand what our son was like, very neutral, very matter of fact. It all felt extremely easy.

We had prepared a speech which I read. We had also prepared a huge list of potential questions they might ask. We gave out copies of the speech (need 5 copies).

We had taken a science and maths book and photocopies of his literacy work with a covering letter from his teacher explaining why those particular pieces had been chosen.

Thank you again to everyone for their help. This is a really great site.

Best wishes
Wailea
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Great news - well done!

It's fantastic that you got the good news so quickly! :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

did he like shopping?
Not sure if there was a context, but in isolation it sounds totally bizarre! :lol:

Congratulations!
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Congratulations Wailea!

Shopping???? Good grief! :?

Sally-Anne
wailea

Post by wailea »

I know - we couldn't stop thinking about the shopping question, trying to figure what it meant. And why we had not asked what was the relevance. But at the time we just answered it truthfully : no he hates shopping but if he has to then he does it.
I had jumped to the conclusion that they obviously did not believe in his academy ability and were reduced to asking totally irrelevant questions.

I think that the person who asked was trying to demonstrate that even though he did not like certain subjects (music) he still got on with it! I think!

thank God it is all over.

I am now going to have to find something else to do with my evenings as I kept checking the posts for any useful information.

Definitely last post

Thanks again
Wailea
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now