Low scores 111 and 112

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sneaky

Low scores 111 and 112

Post by sneaky »

Hi,

My daughter had a terrible experience in her first paper - describing what must have been a panic attack. After 3 days of tears and way too much stress I took her to our GP, who said it was awful to see such a young child suffering quite so much. As we new she didn't finish this paper, but guessed at least 10 questions, the mark wasn't unexpected.

What was a surprise was that she almost repeated the result in the 2nd paper, despite finishing well within the time and checking some sections.

Given her results we had no intention to appeal, but were contacted by her teacher suggesting we had a chat with the Head. He scored my daughter as a 2/1, already achieving mostly level 5 sats in yr 5, with an excellent attitude to her work. He commented that he has no qualms about fully backing an Appeal, as her academic achievements are very good. She is a great contributor to the school, voted in as House Captain, class representative for the School council along with a string of sporting successes both for and outside the school.

My problem now, is how to approach the Appeal, other than the fact that her HT believe her results are hugely inconsistent with her abilities.

In hindsight, I think we spent much too much time worrying and talking about the 11+ this year, even working on papers through our summer hols! . One of her younger sisters has been diagnosed with progressive and agressive hearing loss this year, and between Sep and Oct much of my attention has gone on her needs. In hindsight I'm sure this contributed to my daughter's stress.

Your advice would be appreciated.
mummog

Post by mummog »

Hi Sneaky, I too have a daughter who appears to have found the whiole process extremely stressful (see 16/16 mitigating factors). We have a 2.2 recommendation from the HM and level 5's, but I had come to the conclusion that I did not have much else to offer to the panel in her support. I had pretty much made up my mind not to appeal but, with encouragement from several friends who have both successfully and unsuccessfully appealed themselves, have now decided that we have nothing to lose, and if we don't try, won't we always wonder 'what if?'
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Sneaky

As the Head has approached you, I would follow up with him to see what evidence you can pull together between you. You do need to be quick though - the deadline for appeal applications is fast approaching!

The Appeal system exists to pick up bright children who, for whatever reason, do not manage to jump the hurdle of the 11+.

If you have the full support of the Head, and can produce very strong evidence of both high ability and achievement, then it may well be worth trying. You will need very good reports, good school books, high CATs or NFERS (if the school do that type of test).

Appeals do succeed on scores like these, and not necessarily because of strong mitigating circumstances. Appeal panels realise that the Bucks VR test is not a "one size fits all" process.

The one thing I strongly recommend though is that you do not tell your daughter that you are appealing. She has obviously found the whole process very stressful, and this will only add to her stress.

Sally-Anne
sneaky

Post by sneaky »

Many thanks for your replies - I know I'd sritten a rather longwinded explanation, so thanks for taking the time.

My daughter has recently gained the highest mark in her year group for a literacy piece (completed at school). Her teacher has commented as such on the work. This will definitely be included. She is one of 8 remaining Yr 6 children who have gained max marks in their spelling tests this year to date. Her reports are excellent, but do refer to her lack of self confidence about her abilities.

I just think this process built up so much over the year, ending in a panic. You are probably right about not telling her about the Appeal, but at the same time, she now seems quite comfortable about the whole situation. I think it's the relief that it's over.

Good luck to all!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now