Appeal for St Bernard's Grammar

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Guest55,
Thanks, I know and I've thought long and hard about all of this, but unfortunately we've only my son's word for this.
His teacher. while on the whole having been really helpful has not put the actual levels on the tests, so the mark on it's own is not reaally saying anything.
40/40 in his maths tests speaks for itself, and 39/40 in science, but the English is a bit woolly as far as I can see.
We have already submitted some English work along with the original appeal letter - I thought we could just throw a couple of marked sats papers in at the end and say - well look, here's some more evidence that he can do it.
They've already got all the proof in the world that he can't - because he didn't pass the original test, so I don't really want to give them any more reason to say, ah well you know, he's not that good at English :!:

Rgds,
LFH
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Which paper was it? I can post the link to the official level tables if that helps - I really do think three level 5s is a big plus.
Looking for help

Thanks Guest 55 - I think it was the 2007 SATS past papers they did for all subjects.

LFH
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.naa.org.uk/naa_18985.aspx#

You may need to scroll down the page ..
Looking for help

Thank you very much - we haven't got the writing back, but he was very disappointed with his reading mark but I can see that 39/50 is a good level 5, so maybe you're right, I should include it :D
You are very kind to be up so late helping me, thank you, I am very grateful :D
In a couple of weeks it'll all be over for us, and for that I will be eternally grateful, these last few months have really taken their toll, but for this site and the wonderful support, I would have given up.

Thank you very much.
LFH
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Hang on in there LFH I know what you mean by the comment the last few months have taken a toll! Whatever the outcome I am sure it will be worth it. If you didnt put yourself through this appeal process you would be wondering what if.... so go for it and give it all you have got.
Looking for help

Thanks overpeck, we're getting there, but only just.
It seems like a very long time since the test, but I am looking forward to the day that this appeal is not the first thing I wake up thinking about and the last thing I think about before going to sleep.
LFH
Looking for help

Hi everyone,
Right our appeal is next week now, and I am getting very nervous.
We have put a lot of stuff in our appeal letter explaining my son's academic record and potential. We have examples where his nerves have got the better of him, we have written about how he is trying so desperately hard to emulate his older brother and sisters.
What on earth do we say when we get in the room with the panel?
Do we just regurgitate everything we've already said or do we put together a presentation where we go over everything we've already put in the letter and going a little deeper?

Do we separate it out into
a) explaining underperformance on the day, and then
b) why he needs to come to this school in particular?

I am very worried, as my husband has been away a great deal over the past few weeks, and we just don't seem to get enough time together to put together our speech.

I apologise in advance if there is this information somewhere on this site , I think my nerves are getting the better of me.

Thanks again,
LFH
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear LFH

Don't worry too much about the presentation. I think its importance is exaggerated, just like the letter of appeal. I believe that what matters is the evidence, and answers to any (important) questions.
Do we separate it out into
a) explaining underperformance on the day, and then
b) why he needs to come to this school in particular?
Yes.
Do we just regurgitate everything we've already said or do we put together a presentation where we go over everything we've already put in the letter and going a little deeper?
I think it depends.

If you've sent in a very detailed submission, I suggest you just remind the panel briefly of your main points. You can prepare for this by writing down bullet points. Having run through these with the panel, you could then say "I don't want to bore you by going over the whole of my written submission, but I'm very happy to go into more detail if you have any questions."

If your original submission was brief (perhaps using bullet points), then you could take this opportunity to go into a bit more detail. I would still be inclined not to say too much (provided you make clear what your main points are), but to let the panel ask questions about anything they wish to probe.
Etienne
Looking for help

Thanks Etienne - we are just getting so nervous now, I feel that the academic evidence is there, but unfortunately any explanation as to why he did not perform well on the day is not compelling enough for a panel.
I am sure they get to see many appeals from children with predictions of level 5 in SATS, and with mitigating circumstances, which would, rightly, put them ahead of us in the queue.
Well, I may have another question or two as we sit down to put our presentation together, but hopefully not.

Thanks again for your very prompt reply.

LFH
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now