11+ Appeals Buckinghamshire

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

boysmum

11+ Appeals Buckinghamshire

Post by boysmum »

I have recieved my sons 11+ results this afternoon and unfortunately he did not pass- HIs results were a standardised score of 113
:( - He is devestated to say the least. My sons school have sent out a letter saying that appeals will not be maintained unless the score is 116 to 121. I feel gutted. My son has always and consistantly been a natural high achiever. In his in year assessments he is getting level 5's in year 4 these were level fives at the low end - I recieved his assessment results last week and he is achieving high end level 5's - He has been noted by his school as being Able gifted and talented in Science and desperaltey wants to go to a school in our area( buckinghamshire) that speciallises in Science, Science is his life!! PLease please can someone give me some advice re whether i should appeal - Thanks in anticipation
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi boysmum

I am sorry to hear the news.

I fundamentally disagree with the school taking a "blanket approach" to Appeals in that way. I have seen an unbelievably bright child score 108 in the 11+ and get through an Appeal.

With Level 5s already, plus G&T evidence, you are in a strong position to appeal. I should obviously warn you that with a score of 113 it is by no means going to be easy, and the success rate for such appeals is quite low.

However, you may well have a very good argument that, for a very scientifically-minded child, a VR test is not a good test of overall academic ability.

Please read the Appeals Q&A first of all, and once you understand the criteria that a panel will use to assess your son's case, I suggest that you speak to the Head directly to question whether s/he will still be applying the policy for your son.

If s/he refuses to budge it is still perfectly possible to appeal without the Head's support. Please keep that letter showing the school's "blanket policy" very safe, because it will be an important piece of evidence.

Sally-Anne
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Sally-Anne

A little side note. Many, many schools take this blanket approach. Some goes as high as 118. In the main they use this to deter parents of children who are never going to make it into a grammar. Its not always in writing, its generally mentioned verbally at the 11 plus meeting in the summer term.

Many schools have 'shock' results and will/should still invite parents such as boysmum in for a 'chat,' regardless of their policy.

Patricia
mum of five

WHAT NEXT

Post by mum of five »

patricia wrote:Dear Sally-Anne

A little side note. Many, many schools take this blanket approach. Some goes as high as 118. In the main they use this to deter parents of children who are never going to make it into a grammar. Its not always in writing, its generally mentioned verbally at the 11 plus meeting in the summer term.

Many schools have 'shock' results and will/should still invite parents such as boysmum in for a 'chat,' regardless of their policy.

Patricia
hi i dont really post much on this forum but i do look at it a lot im a bucks mum and my child has scored 113 and 114 he is a bright chid so we were very shocked he is working to a level 5 i just wanted to ask what next can we appeal or is 12 plus the next step he says he wants to appeal or go for the 12 plus to be honest i have no clue about either some advice would be really apreciated sorry if im posting in the wrong place not sure where to post
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi mum of five

As is the case for boysmum, on 113/114, it is not going to be easy. On those scores only around 15% of appeals succeed. However, looking at that the other way round, 15% of appeals on those scores are successful!

If he is working at Level 5, his school reports are good and you have plenty of good academic evidence, then it is worth appealing. Start by reading Etienne's "11+ appeals Q&A's (link at the top of this thread) to see what is involved.

Then go to see the Head to ask if s/he will support you. Hopefully the answer will be yes, but as I said to boysmum, you can still appeal without the Head's support.

For the 12+ you might like to read my Sticky on the Bucks forum:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=8123

If you decide to appeal, I would simply tell your son that you have made the decision, and not discuss it any further with him unless he raises the matter. The children have been through enough anxiety already. Tell him the facts - the success rate is not good - and leave it at that. Prepare him and yourself for Plan B (the 12+) and if the appeal is successful you will have a wonderful surprise for him.

Once you have done your research, come back to us with any more questions.

Sally-Anne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

patricia wrote:Many, many schools take this blanket approach. Some goes as high as 118. In the main they use this to deter parents of children who are never going to make it into a grammar. Its not always in writing, its generally mentioned verbally at the 11 plus meeting in the summer term.

I know that many schools do put forward the advice that they will tend not to support appeals outside the standard zone (116 - 120), but what I am finding shocking is:

a) that Heads are putting it in writing in quite strong terms;

b) the bar is getting ever higher. One school has stated in writing that they will definitely not support any appeal below 119.

I am very concerned that this attitude could lead to a very serious injustice, and the only reasons I can find for it are complete laziness on the part of the Heads, or a misguided sense of "humanity" in not wanting to get parents' hopes up.

It would be nice to think that all Heads will make an exception for a really shock result, but my worry is that it may not happen. Some people, once they have gone into print, will not allow themselves to be seen to backtrack.

S-A
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

There used to be a "borderline zone" (116-120) many years ago. Officially it no longer exists.

Is it that headteachers do not want to "raise parents hopes unnecessarily" or that they don't want to be bothered by too many parents?

It would be reasonable enough to point out that the further away from 121, the stronger the case needs to be - but in my view parents should then be given an honest appraisal of their own particular case, and told how strongly the school feels able to support.

I think headteachers should be doing what I trust appeal panels are doing: looking at each case on its own merits.
Etienne
mum of five

Post by mum of five »

hi its mum of five here again had time to think about what to do next regarding my sons score decided not to appeal byt he strongly wants to do the 12 plus could you pls tell me kindly what i need to do for that now when are the dates for it also what chance does he stand with the score that he got 113 114 any info would be good also should i have him tutored and i have a son in year4 when should i start preparing him thanks a lot
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi,

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... =177570625

gives you all the information for this year -

Your child needs to aim to get at least two levels 5s and work hard in his new school in September. You will need to register (we don't know the date yet and it was earlier this year).

Quite a few of us on here have gone down the 12+ route with our children - as long as you are realistic as to which schools will have places left it is a good option. In a year your child will be older - you can tutor him yourself but I woul not start yet - focus in getting the level 5s.
mum of five

Post by mum of five »

Thanks guest 55 so basically we dont do much yet just focus on getting him at least 2 level fives he is currently working at level 4a for english and 4c for maths and 4 c for science but his teachers say he is a very hard working child and would be suited to a grammar school also how will i find out when to apply where will i get the dates from will it be this forum?
looking at his levels do you think he stands a chance ? :?: :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now