Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: January 2009 Appeals.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:56 am 

Hi,
We have an appeal hearing appointment in early January and just wanted to share experiences, nerves, worries etc with anyone else in a similar position. After the "diversion" of christmas the old nerves are returning!! :( :( :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:36 am 

Good Luck !

If your appeal is at County Hall do read the thread about where to park in the Bucks section -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:39 pm 

Hi Batty, just to let you know you are not alone, - our appeal is on the 15th. Although this will be the fourth time we have appealed, it doesn't stop us from being nervous, - just be as prepared as you possibly can be, then you can always say that you tried your very best.
All the best
Bougalou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:11 am 

Thank you for your reply Bougalou,
How have you found previous meetings? I appreciate every hearing will be different but am interested in your previous experiences.
Best wishes for your meeting! Hope it all goes well for you,
Batty.
:D :D :D

Post subject: 11 plus
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:25 am 

HI MY NAME IS KALLY AND I AM NEW TO THIS SITE. I HAVE APPEALED TWICE - ONE FOR BUCKS AND THE OTHER FOR BERK. I HAVE RECEIVED A DATE FOR BUCKS BUT NOT BERKSHIRE. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS RECEIVED A HEARING DATE FOR BERKSHIRE, COULD YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I AM GETTING A LITTLE WORRIED BECAUSE WHEN I APPEALED I DID NOT ENCLOSE A S.A.E. FOR ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RECEIVING MY PAPERWORK, BUT IT WAS POSTED RECORDED. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:30 pm 

Hi,

Welcome to the forum - Bucks appeals are before schools are allocated but I think Berkshire are AFTER March allocation day. Look in the Berkshire section below or check with the booklet.

PS We usually try to avoid writing in capital letters.

Post subject: Bucks Transfer appeals
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:00 pm 

Hi,

We are out of county for Bucks. I assume the transfer appeals are to be made after National allocation day.

Am I right in thinking this way or does one need to make an appeal in anticipation?

cheers,
Epp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:09 pm 

Dear Epp

You're right - you don't put in a Bucks transfer appeal until after the allocations at the beginning of March.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:21 pm 

Sorry if we startled you EPP, - I'm in another area, and what we are going through in January is actually a selection review, although in these parts it is commonly known as an appeal.
In terms of the format Batty, ours have always been the same:

Firstly the panel introduce themselves and their role;

Then the school / LEA outlines their case ( always the same - that your child is not suitable because they did not reach the cut off, or in March after allocations that they don't meet the admissions criteria {because there aren't enough places} and/or did not reach the cut off;

Then you can question the authority/school, in my opinion it is not the time to question the system, just focus on your child;

Then you outline the mitigating circumstances for your child - stick to academic evidence firstly, followed by any extenuating circs;

Then the LEA/School is invited to question you;

Then the panel can ask questions, - usually focused upon academic achievement.

The whole process is very formal, but everyone is pretty nice within that context. I have read a "speech" out in previous appeals, mainly because I was nervous and didn't want to forget anything, but do feel with hindsight that this may have been too wordy and clouded the most prescient issues. Therefore this time I am merely taking in a list of bullet points on a card to remind me, and am not planning to speak for more than about 5 /10 mins max.

Hope this helps
Bouga x