January 2009 Appeals.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
batty

January 2009 Appeals.

Post by batty »

Hi,
We have an appeal hearing appointment in early January and just wanted to share experiences, nerves, worries etc with anyone else in a similar position. After the "diversion" of christmas the old nerves are returning!! :( :( :(
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Good Luck !

If your appeal is at County Hall do read the thread about where to park in the Bucks section -
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Hi Batty, just to let you know you are not alone, - our appeal is on the 15th. Although this will be the fourth time we have appealed, it doesn't stop us from being nervous, - just be as prepared as you possibly can be, then you can always say that you tried your very best.
All the best
Bougalou
batty

Post by batty »

Thank you for your reply Bougalou,
How have you found previous meetings? I appreciate every hearing will be different but am interested in your previous experiences.
Best wishes for your meeting! Hope it all goes well for you,
Batty.
:D :D :D
u702967

11 plus

Post by u702967 »

HI MY NAME IS KALLY AND I AM NEW TO THIS SITE. I HAVE APPEALED TWICE - ONE FOR BUCKS AND THE OTHER FOR BERK. I HAVE RECEIVED A DATE FOR BUCKS BUT NOT BERKSHIRE. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS RECEIVED A HEARING DATE FOR BERKSHIRE, COULD YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I AM GETTING A LITTLE WORRIED BECAUSE WHEN I APPEALED I DID NOT ENCLOSE A S.A.E. FOR ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RECEIVING MY PAPERWORK, BUT IT WAS POSTED RECORDED. :(
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum - Bucks appeals are before schools are allocated but I think Berkshire are AFTER March allocation day. Look in the Berkshire section below or check with the booklet.

PS We usually try to avoid writing in capital letters.
ElevenplusParent

Bucks Transfer appeals

Post by ElevenplusParent »

Hi,

We are out of county for Bucks. I assume the transfer appeals are to be made after National allocation day.

Am I right in thinking this way or does one need to make an appeal in anticipation?

cheers,
Epp
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Epp

You're right - you don't put in a Bucks transfer appeal until after the allocations at the beginning of March.
Etienne
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Sorry if we startled you EPP, - I'm in another area, and what we are going through in January is actually a selection review, although in these parts it is commonly known as an appeal.
In terms of the format Batty, ours have always been the same:

Firstly the panel introduce themselves and their role;

Then the school / LEA outlines their case ( always the same - that your child is not suitable because they did not reach the cut off, or in March after allocations that they don't meet the admissions criteria {because there aren't enough places} and/or did not reach the cut off;

Then you can question the authority/school, in my opinion it is not the time to question the system, just focus on your child;

Then you outline the mitigating circumstances for your child - stick to academic evidence firstly, followed by any extenuating circs;

Then the LEA/School is invited to question you;

Then the panel can ask questions, - usually focused upon academic achievement.

The whole process is very formal, but everyone is pretty nice within that context. I have read a "speech" out in previous appeals, mainly because I was nervous and didn't want to forget anything, but do feel with hindsight that this may have been too wordy and clouded the most prescient issues. Therefore this time I am merely taking in a list of bullet points on a card to remind me, and am not planning to speak for more than about 5 /10 mins max.

Hope this helps
Bouga x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now