Failed Appeal Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Helpless Mum

Failed Appeal Bucks

Post by Helpless Mum »

Just some advice as to whether I have any options left. Have recieved note of failure of appeal. My daughter had a score of 119, has achieved level 5 SAT score already in 2 subjects and has above average NFER scores. I had support from both her previous and current head-teacher who indicated that the 11+ was not indicative of ability. Yet still the commitee propose insufficient academic evidence.
Can I do anything else or do I just have to now accept consequences.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

So sorry to hear your news - we have been there too ...

Was your appeal conducted fairly? If not you can go to the ombudsman.

Is there 'new' evidence you were not able to present? Very rarely a re-appeal is granted.

Otherwise there is the 12+ route which many of us 'old hands' used in similar circumstances. I agree it seems a long wait and when your child gets three nearly perfect scores in KS2 tests you may feel worse - I did.

I hope you have a reasonable alternative -
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm very sorry to hear your news - unfortunately the panel is entitled to take a different view of the evidence if it has reason to do so.

What was the other score, I wonder? - They can take this into account.

How accurate were the head's other recommendations (a summary should have been provided with the papers)?

Have your read the section on complaints?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... #section-D
I wouldn't want to raise your hopes, though. You would need good grounds to make a complaint, and disagreeing with the decision wouldn't be enough.
Etienne
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Etienne, not sure of Bucks procedure, but could she appeal again after school allocation date in March, by which time, she may have even more evidence of consistently good academic achievement?
Just a thought
Bouga
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No you have to ask for a re- appeal and these are very rare.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm afraid not, Bouga.

This is an appeal against non-qualification, and there can be only one appeal, unless:
(1) something was done incorrectly and the LA or the ombudsman agree to a re-hearing, or
(2) there is significant new evidence that could not have been made available at the appeal, and the LA agrees to a re-hearing. - This would have to be something exceptional as Guest55 suggests, e.g. there is now medical evidence that the child was suffering from an undiagnosed problem that no one really knew about at the time but which in hindsight would clearly have affected performance in the 11+. I'm afraid further proof of consistently good academic achievement wouldn't be enough.
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Helpless Mum

Like Guest55, I have been in your position too - that is how I arrived here 4 years ago. I can only say how sorry I am, and we all understand how frustrated and disappointed you must feel.

If you have looked at the link Etienne posted, you will know that you can ask for a copy of the clerk's notes. They will show you whether it a=was a unanimous or majority decision, and perhaps help to put your mind at rest as to what the clerk recorded of your case and the reasons for the decision.

I will say though, that most of the clerk's notes I have seen tend to contain fairly bland statements such as: "the academic evidence did not warrant upholding the appeal". It doesn't really leave you much the wiser, but it does help some people to come to terms with the outcome.

Both re-appeals and Ombudsman appeals are very rare in Bucks, because they do make a tremendous effort to administer the system in accordance with government guidelines.

As Guest55 says, I hope you have a good alternative. In the meantime, do take a read of my Sticky on Bucks about the 12+. Very, very many children who miss the 11+ by a couple of marks go on to qualify via the 12+ with excellent scores. The pass rate in recent years has been in the region of 70%.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=8123

If you would like further advice on the 12+, including at which schools you might have a chance of obtaining a place, do post on the Bucks section.

Sally-Anne
panickingmum

I am so sorry for you!

Post by panickingmum »

I really feel very sorry for you and your bad news. It also feels me with terror and terror as our child got 119 and is only predicted 5 Sats. I have already looked down the 12+ route as written on this forum and this also worries me as the 2 grammar schools in our area for girls Wycombe High and Sir William Borlase didnt seem to have any places at all for 12+ so this route would seem a waste of time. How upsetting must it be to go through all the pain of 12+, pass and then not get a place.

Comiserating and panicking

PM
Helpless Mum

Post by Helpless Mum »

Thankyou all for your replies and in particular to those who still have this to go through do not panic, I have already been through appeal before with my other daughter and we were successful with a lower score! I am sure there has to be a little bit of luck as to how the panel views your situation.
Etienne as you say I think that Bucks try to carry out the appeals fairly and I do not feel that there is anything wrong with the process. So I do not think that approaching the ombudsman will make a difference.
As for 12+ I will not hold my breath, My schools are Wycombe High or Becky High, which are both usually filled. I will just have to take some time to come to terms with my disappointment and see how my daughter fares at the Upper School.
Thankyou for your good wishes.
All Too Much

Dear Helpless Mum

Post by All Too Much »

Our appeal is this Wednesday and our son only got 114 and 117 - so compared to your child, we have no hope. Been down this route before with older child and didn't succeed.

Anyone else think it is about time to set up a school where all these children can get a fair education ?
All Too Much
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now