Failed Appeal Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Helpless Mum wrote:I am sure there has to be a little bit of luck as to how the panel views your situation.
I think you're right. There'd be more consistency with just one panel, but with up to 900 selection appeals in your LA, that's a non-starter!

Do keep an open mind about the 12+. Children are getting places (more so than at 13+). It may be necessary to go to a transfer appeal, and it helps if you're flexible (willing to consider grammar schools further away from you).

Good luck
Etienne
Helpless Mum

Appeal Panel

Post by Helpless Mum »

Etienne,
Thankyou so much for your feedback it has been very reassuring. Just one quick question. None of our panel were in education as teachers etc, their main link was as parent governers. If they are not in academia how do they judge the academic ability of a child. Any ideas?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

They're not actually assessing the children themselves. Indeed, the Code of Practice forbids this.

What they're doing is looking at the evidence provided by the appropriate professionals (teachers, educational psychologists, etc.) and weighing it all up.

In the same way, panels are often asked to consider medical evidence (in connection with extenuating circumstances), but most panels don't include a medical expert.

Panel members are specifically trained for their quasi-judicial role (how to conduct a fair hearing, for example). Where there is a need for any further training in understanding educational matters, disability legislation, etc., then this is provided.

Hope that helps .....
Etienne
Helpless Mum

Post by Helpless Mum »

Thankyou Etienne
I was clutching at straws I know but I was just interested as my school and former schools had given such strong reports and results. Will leave you in peace now as I now this is such a busy time for you.
Thankyou for all you do this sight is such a lifeline to parents
HM
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now