appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
funkymum

appeal

Post by funkymum »

Hello my child scored 110 in their 11 plus and we are going to appeal. We've got a 2:2 which we don't agree with but my child has 3 predicted level 5 sats and full support from the ht. We have a fantastic letter of support from music teacher but with regards to school work the school isn,t very helpful and doesn't seem to want to help much. My child has had a nqt for year 5 and there wasn't much encouragement fom that teacher and I was wondering if that could be used at appeal. Also my dad died very suddenly in sept just before the tests and my child was very close to him. I have put this down on the form but wondered if this will be taken into consideration? We're in bucks by the way. Thanks.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome, funkymum!
My child has had a nqt for year 5 and there wasn't much encouragement from that teacher and I was wondering if that could be used at appeal.
It's worth a mention, but it might be difficult to explain how it would affect reasoning ability in the 11+. One might have expected an impact on progress in the curriculum, but your child is being predicted three 5s.
Also my dad died very suddenly in sept just before the tests and my child was very close to him.
This will be taken into account, but would carry more weight if school work was affected. Did the school notice anything different about your child at the time?
Etienne
funkymum

Post by funkymum »

Thank you for that. Also I've been doing a little research and I read the headmasters guide. I notice that it said that there should be 2 invigilators in the classroom at the time of the test so I asked my child how many adults were in the room and they told me 1 but that someone came in to speak to the teacher halfway through the test which was very off putting. Also she had to share a table with a disruptive boy. Does this hold any weight? Sorry to sound like I'm going on.
funkymum

Post by funkymum »

Hello again. I've been reading all of this advice on this great site and day by day I'm feeling as though we're not going to get through this. I can't get much in the way of 'fantastic ' school work because the school is hopeless. I have a great literacy book from yr 5 but yr 6 is not great. My childs teacher is barely there so her work is marked by supply teachers and they don't leave any comments. Maths is marked by the children themselves. HELP!!!!!!!What do I do? Thanks in advance :?: :?: :?:
funkymum

Post by funkymum »

Sorry I didn't mention about whether the teacher has noticed a change since grandad died. Yes she has [when shes there!] but shes cant put it in writing as they are not allowed to write any letters of support at all.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm afraid there's not much I can suggest if neither the school nor nor the GP can confirm how distressed your daughter was at the time.

The panel can take account of test conditions, but it won't be easy to prove how serious the disturbances were if the school won't co-operate. The best thing in this situation would have been immediately to write a letter of complaint to the school so that the matter is on the record - then you could have shown the panel a copy of your letter (irrespective of whether the school has come up with a satisfactory response!).

If the school won't help with academic evidence, you could consider an educational psychologist's report - but this assumes that you have the time and money, and that it delivers exceptionally good cognitive scores.
Etienne
funkymum

Post by funkymum »

Hello thank you Etienne for your reply. I would certaintly have written a letter had my son had told me at the time! Frustrating just doesn't describe how I'm feeling right now. Oh well I'll just keep on referring to this fab site and congratulations to everyone who has succeeded in getting through. Funkymum :x