Appeal this morning

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Buckscat

Appeal this morning

Post by Buckscat »

Well we had our appeal this morning and, for those of you who are still to go through it, this is my thoughts/feelings etc.

Our panel - 2 men, 1 woman - were very nice and tried to make us feel at ease. I handed my speech in (which they were impressed with - thanks Etienne/Sally-Anne!) and one member highlighted bits in pink as I went along - not sure which bits, or whether that was a good or bad sign :?

The panel asked us very few questions which has made me think they didn't think our daughter's case deserved it. :( Certainly filler type questions I have seen on this site didn't really seem to crop up. However, we were asked:

Did her friends pass
How did she feel when she found out she hadn't passed
How do you think she will get on at GS
How will GS affect her ME in your opinion (obviously specific question to our case)
Would you have sent her in for SATs after being ill (to which I replied that our school want you to send a child in dying if necessary to ensure they get the marks - he didn't know that!)

And that was it!

Two of the members really did push the LA rep on taking the test after missing one through being ill (referred to on my other post) and he was forced to say he would expect a child to have at least a day's notice before taking it - obviously my daughter (and us!) had no notice!

After, they spent about 15 minutes looking at her SATs papers and books.

Absolutely impossible to read though as I say I fear their lack of interest means they don't think she was good enough.

The help and information on this site has been invaluable though - thanks to everybody. Now we just wait for the postman..... :cry:

Good luck to anyone who still has to go through this - but don't panic!
:)

Catherine
Thanks

Catherine
Nibbles

Post by Nibbles »

Hi Buckscat,

Don't despair, I have come to the conclusion you can't tell anything from what the panel do and don't ask you.

We weren't asked anything about how DD felt when she did not pass, or whether she would cope at Grammar school which I know lots of others were. All we were asked was whats her favorite subject, what does she want to do when she grows up - both filler questions, a bit about DD's hearing problem, why we thought she got only 113 in the second test (we don't know first was 120). There was a bit of discussion about previous VR scores not being indicative of 11+ success (thanks LA rep for labouring this point). We came out really despondant thinking we had not suceeded - as you will remember I posted at the time. But we were sucessful - much to my amazement.

So don't give up hope - really, believe me its impossible to second guess the panel. So fingers crossed for you.
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

keeping everything crossed Buckscat!
Bouga
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now