Appeal Tomorrow

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Justine

Appeal Tomorrow

Post by Justine »

I would just like to ask a few questions before tomorrow's appeal that I am a little shaky on, probably because it seems every one from our school so far has passed their appeal and have given me the impression that they had lots of points and evidence for their appeal. Why am I feeling as though my presentation has no meat!!
I have a 1:1 from the HT with a comment of how the school supports our appeal in the strongest terms. Level 5's across the board for predicted SATS. 90-96th percentile reached in CATS and school reports that are glowing. This is it though.... is it enough?? I also have school books, all of them with majority good comments and quite a few stating the academic ability but really that is it. Am I right to feel uneasy, or is this just the norm?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Justine

Very difficult to comment on your case when the details are scattered among various threads. I know you've mentioned something about the other HTRs before, and extenuating circumstances (or lack of), but I can't recall the two scores (which will be a significant bit of the case).

It's not clear whether the "glowing reports" include achievement grades or useful comments about academic ability?

If you would like to give us all the facts here, including the other HTRs and a breakdown of the CATs, one of us will try to help. :D
Etienne
Justine

Appeal Tomorrow

Post by Justine »

Sorry! I should have realised I have not put all the info down but the pressure is starting to show cracks.

119 & 117 11+ results

1:1 for both areas from the HT with comments of DD shows commitment, self motivation and pursuit of excellence which will make him an excellent candidate for GS.

Teachers comment for:
Maths: Very able, performs well in this subject and has a natural aptitude.
English: Extremely competent member of Yr group, fluent reader with excellent comprehension skills.
Science: Sets high standard, grasps new concepts quickly, thorough and accurate.
(This is main points in the teachers comments. Obviously they are a little more detailed)
Report:
Maths:4a Maths scores are consistently high, achieves top marks in mental maths and multiplication tests
Reading: 5b Clearly avid reader, reflects in quality of written work
Writing:4a Produces high quality work, fast pace of lessons suit DD and so his writing has improved dramatically.
Science: 4a

CATs: Verbal:119 Qualitative: 127 Non Verbal: 111

Have I missed anything??

Thank you for you quick response, I am very grateful for this site and the people who believe in it. Appealing would be even harder without you all, that's for sure.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks, Justine. There'd be something wrong if you weren't feeling the pressure. :D

Could you reprint the headteacher's other recommendations? (Or am I dreaming that I saw them before?)

Can you confirm no extenuating circumstances?
Etienne
Justine

Appeal Tomorrow

Post by Justine »

1:1 for both academic potential and attitude to work. (Is this what you mean?)

No extenuating circumstances.

Forgot to add 1:1 predicted by school=12/11 (10 in fact passed exam and 1 has got through on appeal)

Do you think we have enough?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Etienne means the information from the pack about how accurate the HT was

e.g. 1:1 6(4) means 6 were recommended on 1:1 but 4 qualified.
Justine

Appeal Tomorrow

Post by Justine »

Whoops, yes I realised that in the end and edited that reply probably just as you were letting me know Guest55, Thank you.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It would help Etienne comment if you put all the numbers down so she can judge how accurate the ratings are.
Justine

Appeal Tomorrow

Post by Justine »

Ok, here goes. I am right in it being the attitude as the second figure? Hope so because that's how I read it and have logged it.

1:1 12/10 (although its now 11)
1:2 3/2
1:3 0/0
2:1 12/5
2:2 12/7
2:3 0/0
3:1 3/1
3:2 1/0
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hello again, Justine.

You have two reasonably good scores.

There are some weaknesses:
  • You have no extenuating circumstances (but the panel will appreciate your honesty, and be grateful for not being subjected to lame excuses!)
    The CAT VR is not high enough - you could try pointing out that your child is stronger on the Quantitative side (and hope that they don't linger on the NVR!).
The "working at" levels look fine.

Some of the comments are superb and worth reading out to the panel:
"pursuit of excellence which will make him an excellent candidate for GS ..... Very able, ...... and has a natural aptitude ...... excellent comprehension skills ..... Sets high standard, grasps new concepts quickly, ......achieves top marks in mental maths and multiplication tests ....Clearly avid reader, reflects in quality of written work..... Produces high quality work, fast pace of lessons suit DD ........"
(Don't dwell on things like commitment and self-motivation.)

(Are the sex changes also the result of stress? :D)

Your strongest point is probably the accuracy of the 1:1s. I suggest you point out to the panel "1:1 predicted by school=12/11 (10 in fact passed exam and 1 has got through on appeal)"

Overall I think you have a good case and you should go into the appeal confident that you have some strong points to make. Unfortunately my view counts for nothing, and what matters will be what the panel thinks .....
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now