Preparing the presentation

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

11+ scores were NVR 109 VR 101 and Maths 110 standardised score 107
Not sure what you mean by y5 optional SATs, please could you clarify.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Schools sometimes state on the year 5 report the level at which children are working.

Some schools voluntarily set tests in year 5 to identify what level children have reached. These are known as "Optional SATs".

This information can be useful because one might expect children to progress by two sub-levels in a year.
11+ scores were NVR 109 VR 101 and Maths 110 standardised score 107
There are so many Bucks appeals at the moment, forgive me if I have made a wrong assumption. Are you from another area?
Etienne
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Our daughter sat Berksire Slough Grammar exam.

I think that I have found figures you were referring to

QCA Y5 tests

English overall level 5
reading level 5
Writing level 4a

Maths 5c

Science not tested for but scored an A on exam in house
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Our daughter sat Berksire Slough Grammar exam.
Ah, all is clear! I should have worked this out from the earlier sibling reference.

[Reminder to everyone: please tell us what area you are from, as requested in Sally-Anne's Announcement.]

Please ignore what I said about HTRs.

The QCA results look fine to me.

That takes care of the academic evidence. Do you have any extenuating circumstances?
Etienne
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Extenuating circumstances? we have submitted these as a lesser part of our submission - she was admitted twice to the welfare room during week commencing 10th November with anxiety perhaps caused by her desire to do well in her grammar school tests. However, the headteacher has mentioned in his letter that this was a little surprising as she normally takes test and exams in her stride, as indicated by her previous results. We felt that we didnt want to make too a big a thing on this note as it may well have an adverse affect on our appeal. She does have an inhaler for use if needed, which is very, very seldom. She had a chest infection last year that necessitated the use of an inhaler doctor suggested we kept it for use if/when necessary.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think you're right to focus on the academic evidence, although a gap of 4 marks will need explaining to the panel's satisfaction.

Historically, appeal panels for the Slough foundation grammars have tended to be less "generous" with their decisions than those in Bucks.
Etienne
Phil

Post by Phil »

dis it ok to read out the speech that you have given to the panel....? also when did the Bucks 11+ change from being 3 to 2 papers..?

Phil
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It changed to two papers in 2004 I think -
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Dear Etienne
I am not too sure how we are going to explain a gap of 4 marks to the panels satisfaction? She said she got stuck on one particular section in VR paper.

You also mention that historically appeal panels for the Slough foundation grammars have tended to be less "generous" with their decisions than those in Bucks. Now that Slough Grammar is on their own how has that affected their decisions. I think that last year was the first year that they opted out of the consortium or was it the year before.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear overpeck

To quote the Q&As,
"They are likely to apply two tests:
* Do the extenuating circumstances really explain the whole of the shortfall in marks?
* Is the overall academic evidence sufficiently compelling to indicate the child ought to have achieved a pass mark under normal circumstances?"

[I'm not sure when your appeal is. If after 1st March, I assume you could also be appealing against oversubscription.]

I can't really help you explain the underperformance, but I'd be wary of saying "She said she got stuck on one particular section in VR paper" - it might give the impression she found it too difficult.

I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your second question either. The success rate for all foundation school and VA appeals is below the national average. It remains to be seen whether the success rate for SG appeals improves.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now