head teachers recommendations

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

funkymum

head teachers recommendations

Post by funkymum »

Hi we've received our papers and here are the recommendations.
1.1 10[4]
1.2 8 [3]
1.3 2 [0]
2.1 8 [3]
2.2 10 [5]
2.3 8 [2]
3.1 1 [1]

How do these look? I don't think they're very accurate. Would this help our case? Many thanks in advance funkymum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I agree that they don't look very accurate in the light of the results.

It doesn't do anything to help your case, nor does it necessarily undermine it.
Etienne
funkymum

Post by funkymum »

Thank you for your quick reply Etienne. Is there any way I could use these figures in my case or should I even mention them at all? funkymum
funkymum

Post by funkymum »

Just another quick question, my child didn't quite finish the 2nd paper. Left a block of question out to go back to and ran out of time. Should I mention this if asked? Thanks again funkymum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear funkymum

You aren't usually expected to refer to the figures in the HTR summary, and I see no advantage in your doing so in this case.

I'm not sure what to suggest for the best regarding your second question. The 11+ is all about working quickly and accurately under pressure, so you wouldn't want to give the impression that your child works slowly. Misjudging the time is perhaps another matter, but take care .....
Etienne
funkymum

Post by funkymum »

Thank you for that. I will heed your advice. funkymum
funkymum

Post by funkymum »

Hello again, I have my appeal on Friday and I'm preparing everything as I type. To go over my case again scores of 110 and 105. He's predicted level 5 sats in all subjects and has a 2.2 recommendation. We had a very close family member die close to when the tests commenced plus the teacher left the room during one of the tests leaving the class unoccupied. This disturbed him and he was unable to finish the test. what is the best way to present my case? I also have an older son at gs. Do I mention this? Sorry if this all sounds like pointless questions. Thank you in advance. funkymum :?:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need to focus on the adademic evidence as you have a large 'gap' to explain. Have you any evidence from the school that school work slipped a bit close to the bereavement? This would help.

Are you saying the group were unsupervised for a time?? Did you put this in your case? if so I expect the LA rep may have contacted the school to check this. There should always be two people in the room so one can leave if necessary e.g. to take someone to the loo.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear funkymum

In the light of our previous discussions about your extenuating circumstances, my advice would be to keep your presentation as short as possible.

The section on extenuating circumstances could actually be shortened to:
"We had a very close family member die close to when the tests commenced plus the teacher left the room during one of the tests leaving the class unoccupied."

Let the panel draw all the details out of you with their questions. Believe me, they will have questions!

Among other things, they're going to want to know how many invigilators there were, how long the invigilator was out of the room, and exactly why your son was prevented from finishing.

Unless asked, you should not refer to your older son.

Hope this helps.
Etienne
funkymum

Post by funkymum »

Hello no there was only one teacher in the room and that was a supply teacher. he didn't tell me about this straight away so i couldn't talk to the teacher about it at the time. He's been quiet at school and not as responsive but the teacher won't put this in writing as they are not allowed to. Its been supply teachers since september mainly so they don't know him too well anyway. Iwas horrified about the teacher leaving the room but i don't have the proof. I'll just hope they take my word for it. funkymum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now