Feedback from all areas - see 1st post to copy feedback form

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Re: Feedback from all areas

Post by Etienne »

Note:
1. It would have been an independent panel appointed by the Local Authority.
2. At least one panel member must have been non-lay (i.e. with some sort of background in education), as three lay members would be contrary to the Code.

Many thanks to everyone above for all the feedback. It's much appreciated. Please keep the reports coming in - they are of great interest to other parents facing appeals.

The recent upgrade has had the effect of altering bullet points from "•" to "•"!
Sorry about that. I've corrected the template at the beginning of the thread.
Etienne
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Etienne wrote:Note:
1. It would have been an independent panel appointed by the Local Authority.

I`ve checked...it was an independent panel appointed by the school

and the form I got with the appeal paperwork does indeed say two members were lay and one was advisory
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm a bit puzzled, U400JB9. You've stated it wasn't an own-admission authority school, in which case the LA would appoint the appeal panel.
Etienne
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Etienne wrote:
I'm a bit puzzled, U400JB9. You've stated it wasn't an own-admission authority school, in which case the LA would appoint the appeal panel.
My mistake....SLGGS IS own admission, its the other two we were appealing ( one grammar and one High school) to that aren`t....really sorry for the confusion. :oops: :?

Took me ages to do the reply as we keep having thunder storm fuelled power cuts
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not to worry. All is clear now.

Thanks ever so much for the feedback.
Etienne
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Hi Etienne
was recommending a poster to read dejavu's appeal feedback but it seems to have disappeared??
There is just a short paragraph now? Help please! :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Oh dear! It's probably the recent upgrade - we know of some other long posts that have been mysteriously truncated.

I'll see whether programmer has a backup copy.

Thanks for the alert.
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

This has now been fixed.

Thank you, programmer! :)
Etienne
bungeeful

Our Appeal

Post by bungeeful »

My Nephew's appeal took place this morning & I'd like to share Our experience with others going thru a similar ordeal. I'd like to be able to write it was a balanced affair, however things swayed more one way than the other less than 10 minutes after arrival when a sheet was thrust into my sister-in-laws hand curtly stating more or less that her son didn't make the grade etc etc. Was it worth continuing? This was before any meeting with the panel. At this point she was left wondering whether it was worth staying for the proceedings. Anyway not to be intimidated they decided to sit it out (not sure if I would've done) & were introduced to the panel of five including the GS Head.
Basically our argument was that my nephew fell just short of the pass mark due to mitigating circumstances (in our case my brother's on going battle with a serious illness that has disrupted much of my nephew's young life). He has coped with these unfortunate circumstances with a maturity beyond the age of Eleven whilst still getting good grades at school & this was put to the panel.
Our case was not overstated, one side of A4 for each panel member to read & digest. One panel member asked "......This looks rather long could you please briefly explain your case?" The case was explained even more succinctly for her benefit & other panel members glanced at their sheets with moderate interest. (I understand they must see loads of these). On a lighter note one of the panel commented that our case had been well structured & presented. He was also impressed by some evidence to illustrate Nephew's ability at Primary School.
I've written this post not to put people off but to be prepared for anything, positive, negative & indifferent. We don't expect the outcome we want & came away thinking was it worth it but we did it because he's worth it!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Many thanks, bungeeful.

If you feel able to answer any of the other questions listed here
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9205
others will derive even more benefit from your experience.

Everyone's contribution to this section is much appreciated.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now