ke foundation appeal - dyspraxia

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fran

Post by fran »

I can't say I agree. The experts who have never met him think he does not need the extra time. The experts (Educational psychologist, occupational therapist and consultant paediatrician) who have met him and spent 11hrs assessing him say he needs the extra time. I wonder who is better qualified to make a judgment.........
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

You will have a better idea what to do when you've seen his scores, as if he is very close to the cut-off for one of the grammar schools and he has done the test in the same time as children without a disability, the appeal panel will be more likely to view his case sympathetically. After all it is part of their job to look at the medical evidence provided to the Disability Panel and review that original decision (assuming you have given permission for the paperwork to be passed on to the appeal panel). If his scores are some way off, though, they might well be concerned that the relentless pace of the grammar schools might not be suitable for him, even if they feel it is unfair that he wasn't allowed extra time.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I don't know precisely how the Foundation IAP will approach this sort of case, but I would have thought it might be along the following lines:

1. Is there a disability within the meaning of the DDA?

2. If so, were reasonable adjustments made?

3. If reasonable adjustments were not made or were inadequate, on the balance of probabilities would a successful mark have been achieved if the adjustments had been in place? (This is where the gap between the mark achieved and the cut-off score is considered.)

If you lose at point 1, 2 or 3 above, the panel has finished with disability as a legal issue, and moves on to consider the case as an ordinary appeal:

4. Were any extenuating circumstances sufficient to explain the gap between the mark achieved and the cut-off score?

5. If so, is there sufficient evidence of very high academic ability to indicate that under normal circumstances a successful mark could have been expected?

6. If so, and if there are no places available, do the parents' reasons for wanting a place outweigh the prejudice to the school of exceeding the admission number?
Etienne