Help needed - remission appeal - sorry it's a long read!!!!!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Also, they do not state that they considered J's needs, which was a huge part of our appeal.

Can all the above be classed as maladministration?
Not automatically, daisy. The letter ought to have mentioned this, but whether or not there was a serious injustice will probably depend on whether the clerk's notes show that J's needs were properly considered. I have no doubt the ombudsman will ask the school for the clerk's notes in order to check this.
Another thing is that the school didn't present a particularly strong case
I'm afraid this won't help you because the ombudsman cannot query the panel's judgement. The only thing he can look at is a procedural error that led to a serious injustice.
Etienne
daisy

Post by daisy »

I'm all out of puff.

We went to the ombudsman and despite my in-laws who are solicitors preparing our case, the ombudman came back after hearing from the clark (who has conveniently just gone on holiday for 3 months) and said there's no case. We found out that 5 out of 11 appeals were successful.

I still stand by and completely believe in my heart that the high school is not the right school for J in any way, shape or form, but after doing so well in the 11plus and just (ish) missing out, and now not getting into St. B's, and tomorrow being the induction day at the high school, I am beaten and can't see which way to turn and I think for the first time ever, I'm going to give up. It just seems that wherever we turn there are obstacles and that I no longer have no idea what is right. Perhaps he's meant to go to the high school (although I very much doubt it). Perhaps he's not and we're both meant to be converted so that he can go to St. B's next year. Perhaps he was meant to go the Grammar. I just don't know anymore. But I do know that all this stress and worry, along with my smear coming back with severe per-cancerous cells is wearing me down.

So, it's time for another cup of tea and an afternoon of teaching and an evening of trying not to resent the woman who would not let J go to the feeder Catholic school in case he died.

Oh and we have a puppy and boy is she hard work!! Anyone up for dog sitting?!?!?!!

Love and tea

Daisy x x x
Freya

Post by Freya »

(((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

What an honest post Daisy. I don't really know what to say about any of it...

My best wishes to J.
I hope that the abnormal smear result allows things to be dealt with before it becomes cancerous.
Enjoy the puppy,

Thinking of you all x
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Hi Daisy,

So sorry to hear how things turned out, I remember reading your first post on here. :( I still find it hard to believe that your appeal was not allowed :o but I think you are right just to let the situation go for a while as you have obviously done all you can. Don't think of it as giving up, just taking a step back. Things sometimes have a strange way of working out though not always how we expect. You need to think about yourself a bit as well...I hope you are soon reassured as to your own health worries.

Have fun with that puppy - I'm sure he/she will give you something else to think about for a bit! :)

ML x
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now