remark

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

OLA

remark

Post by OLA »

I called up the school where my son is far behind on the waiting list, I suggested we are looking to seek a remark as his VR score is so low and far less that he could do even on a bad day. The admissions officer immediately sent me the appeal form by email, also to my surprise, he sent another email the next day saying he had remarked my son’s papers and that his papers had been correctly marked and standardised.

My question therefore is, is it right for an individual albeit the admissions office to take it upon himself to remark the paper even before we officially put in an appeal. I thought in a case like this the remarking should be done under some kind of supervision or independently.
This will not stop my appeal by I want your comments on what has happened.
happy
T-4-2

Post by T-4-2 »

OLA, was this an independant school VR test, or a grammar 11+? I'm just wondering how he managed to get his hands on your son's test papers so quickly!
capers123

Re: remark

Post by capers123 »

OLA wrote:My question therefore is, is it right for an individual albeit the admissions office to take it upon himself to remark the paper even before we officially put in an appeal.
Ethically, I would say yes. If anyone suggested that a paper was incorrectly marked, then it is a good thing for the admissions officer to manually remark it. If they found it was incorrectly marked, then they would immediately offer your child a place and there would be no need for appeal.

I have known this happen, and last year one appeal was withdrawn as the paper was re-marked the day before the appeal and the parents were 'phoned and told not to turn up as they had a place.
I thought in a case like this the remarking should be done under some kind of supervision or independently.
This will not stop my appeal by I want your comments on what has happened.
First time around they were probably sent off to be marked by machine centrally. The second time was done by a human and standardised.
Capers
OLA

Post by OLA »

Thanks.
It's 11+ grammar
ola
happy
OLA

Post by OLA »

Is it really right to give an individual the right to pick up any paper for remark, does that not open the admission process up to abuse, I’m sorry if I’m coming across as suspicious but I just don’t think this is right.

However, the issue here is that my son scored so low in the VR exams, this without any doubt is a surprise to us as he will usually score in the high 90s in VR, we have abundant independent evidence to confirm this, his standardised scores from 3 different councils he wrote and passed confirms his score in VR to be in the high 90s and we suspect for one of the exams he must have scored up to 100% based on the standardised score.
We are therefore surprised to see that in his preferred school his score is suggesting a mark in the 70s. Please let me have your thoughts as we are looking to appeal this.
happy
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear OLA

I believe Bucks will only do a remark on request (and starting next year I hear they will charge £10 a time!), so when I started reading your post, I thought you were going to praise the other borough for their speed, initiative, and zero cost! :lol:

Technically, I would have thought the test papers are the "property" of Admissions, and they're at liberty to re-mark them if they wish. I've never come across an "independent re-mark", but I do know that test papers are exempt from the Data Protection Act and that you have no right of access to them.

The results of reasoning tests can never be 100% reliable. For example, with a score of 137 (the 99th percentile) there is a 90% chance that the "true score" lies in the range 124-140.

I understand your concerns, but that, of course, is why there's an appeals process - so that you can argue your case in front of an independent panel.
Etienne
OLA

Post by OLA »

The results of reasoning tests can never be 100% reliable. For example, with a score of 137 (the 99th percentile) there is a 90% chance that the "true score" lies in the range 124-140
Hi Etienne,

I don't fully understand the above comment, can you shed more light on this?
happy
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

To quote NFER/GL Assessment:

"It is important to appreciate that, however carefully educational tests are constructed, an element of error is likely to appear in the results they produce. For individual children, marks and scores should not be taken completely at their face value; they provide only an estimate of a pupil's ability. This is .... not so clear when a numerical value is given; its accuracy and precision can easily be overestimated."

Each standardised score comes with a "confidence interval" - there's a 90% chance the true score lies within a certain range.

The majority of parents appealing against non-qualification are going to say "But the 11+ score is not a true reflection of my child's ability."

Now, there's no point challenging the system, which has to be the same for everyone (apart from reasonable adjustments for special needs). However, at an appeal you can come up with alternative academic evidence to try and prove your case.
Etienne
OLA

Post by OLA »

Many thanks for your advice. I truly need help with this.
happy
superMonkey

Post by superMonkey »

Hi there
I may be completely wrong and am certainly no expert but...
Was the test multi choice? Could your child have missed the first question and then put the second in the first answer box, 3rd in the 2nd etc...

I only suggest this as I can see this really easily happen, especially if they don't have time at the end to check.

Hope all goes well
Monkey