Are there grounds for appeal??

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stanley

Are there grounds for appeal??

Post by stanley »

Hope someone can help. My DD scored 230 on Tiffin girls and is 3 points off pass mark. 19 on waiting list.
We were living overseas until August this year when we had to suddenly return due to an illness in the family. My DD had no school and no home to move into, (tenants in ours who had to be served notice). My husband had to stay overseas to work his notice. We stayed in hotels, with family and moved 4 times in the 3 months leading up to the exam.My DD had no personal items, we lived out of suitcases until our goods arrived 1 week before exam.
Obviously a very stressful time for the whole family but particularly for my DD who had to start yet another new school and change into a new education system. All of these caused extreem anxiety for her.
Prior to leving UK she had a psychologist report for VR and NVR for entry into school overseas. She scored on the 99.7th percentile.
Do I have a case based on the amount of disrubtion caused in the 3 months leading up to the exam? I felt her score was excellent as she had not been exposed to these types of questions until a few weeks before the exam.
chad

Post by chad »

I am sure that the extent of the disruption you have detailed would be grounds for appeal... and the Ed Psych's report would be good evidence of her ability.
Hopefully one of the more experienced 'appeal' guru's will be along soon to confirm.
stanley

Post by stanley »

Thank's for that. She was also offered a 25% scholarship at a local independant school. Could that be used as evidence also, or are they likely to think we should just take the scholarship.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

stanley wrote:She was also offered a 25% scholarship at a local independant school. Could that be used as evidence also, or are they likely to think we should just take the scholarship.
It shouldn't, but I wonder whether it might influence them at a subconscious level?
The other problem is how is the panel to equate this with the 11+ pass mark? It's an impossible task.

You should certainly mention the disruption. This sort of argument carries more weight if there is any evidence about its effect. For example, a letter from the current headteacher clearly stating "It was really hard for her to settle in at first ....."
Etienne
stanley

Post by stanley »

I think I will leave out the scholarship part!
The head I am sure will help with this. I guess it is well known that moving school let alone country can be very disruptive for a childs education. Is 3 points away from the pass mark good enough though?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Panels hear the argument about a change of school all the time, so I'm afraid it may not carry much weight unless backed up by hard evidence of the effect of the disruption. I agree you're on stronger ground when change of country/education system is thrown in as well.

I wonder how many hundreds of pupils the 3 mark shortfall might represent? I don't feel qualified to comment without local knowledge, but IMHO it does sound like a reasonable score.
Etienne
stanley

Post by stanley »

There are 9 girls 3 marks from the pass mark. We are 2nd in that 9 due to being close to the school. There are 6, 2 marks off and 6, 1 mark off. She may get in from the waiting list but don't want to take the chance. Is the moving 4 times in 3 months relevant.?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Is the moving 4 times in 3 months relevant.?
Yes.

I suggest providing the panel with documentary evidence of the various moves.
Etienne
stanley

Post by stanley »

Because of the sudden move and my husband having to work his notice overseas he was not living with us for the 3 months leading up to the exam. This was obviously upsetting for my DD who is close to her father. Would this be a relevant point to highlight?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes, but as I said before this will carry more weight if the effect could be confirmed by the school.

Did they notice any signs of her being upset or sad or withdrawn?
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now