Lack of evidence? Any ideas?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bougalou

Lack of evidence? Any ideas?

Post by Bougalou »

As you may know, we were unsuccessful in our non statutory review for DD2, with the reason being "insufficient evidence" being presented. We could guess what this related to, as the panel asked for two things which our Head Teacher had not given (rankings against other children who passed the test and a specific reading age, as teacher had said it was beyond her actual age but not stated it) and also there was a disturbance during one of the tests which we could not elaborate upon because we didn't have a copy of the invigilation report. In deciding whether or not to go to statutory appeal we decided to gather the extra evidence and make out minds up upon assessing its strength.
We asked the HT of the Primary school for the missing evidence on 26th January and she asked us to give her a couple of weeks. We also asked the LEA for a copy of the invigilation record or a list of the number of disturbances which occurred (we have reason to believe there was more than one, from others' appeal info) and the severity of such occurances. We sent this on the 1st Feb. Both of these requests were in writing.(Btw request for copy of invig record accompanied by complaint about procedures in non statutory review.)
On Monday, having heard nothing DH rang the LEA to be told that it would be in the post either the next day or the day after that. We have also contacted the primary school again (in writing) for the evidence requested in January. We have had absolutely nothing from either source, even though they do have the missing evidence.
Any ideas about what we should do? We will have to send an appeal statement off by Thursday at the very latest if we want it to reach the LEA in time. I know we can do this and state that the documentation will follow, but what if we can't get the information? Neither source has said we can't have the information, but then they do nothing. There really is little point in appealing without this extra proof. Not sure what to do now.
Any ideas gratefully received. :(
Bouga
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Bouga

As far as the LA is concerned, I would be asking my local Councillor to intervene. Failing that, a letter from the MP might stir things up (even though the MP is not directly responsible).

Whatever I suggest for the school is more problematic, because you may be concerned about your relationship with them. However, things like the reading age would be covered by the Data Protection Act. You could write to the head, stating that you are now making a formal request under the DPA, and pointing out that in law "Requests for information from pupils, or parents, for information that contains, wholly or partly, an educational record must receive a response within 15 school days".
Etienne
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Thanks Etienne, this has been very useful information. We are not overly concerned about the relationship with the Primary School as this is our last child. We have already been considering a letter to the governors, as we also had trouble last year with DD1.
We are going to ring the LEA tomorrow and speak to the person who told us last week that it would be posted within two days, - fortunately we have their name. If they are not forthcoming then we will involve our local councillor, who conveniently lives next door! and the MP if necessary. We don't want all this fuss, I just can't understand why they are delaying everything.
Bouga
Rover

Post by Rover »

That's great advice Etienne and I can see could apply to my post.
Rover
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thank you, Bouga and Rover. :D

More information about school records and the DPA can be found here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php
B20 School Records (with acknowledgements to Sally-Anne)

Technically a DPA request should be made to the chair of governors.
Etienne
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

Sorry I can't help Bouga - just wanted to say hello from last year, and say that you were a great support, and hope that things work out for you this time!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now