Borderzone HT reference damaging and unrepresentative

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tadpole

Borderzone HT reference damaging and unrepresentative

Post by Tadpole »

I should be grateful for some advice regarding my son's applicatin to a Foundation GS. He achieved a mark of 301/420, the cut-off being at 317. All boys with a score over 301 had their FW paper marked and a HT reference requested. He was not considered eligible.

Scores were: M 98/140, E 103/140, VR 100/140

Having decided to appeal, we requested a copy of the HT reference. The first half of it made specific reference to a small behaviour incident that occurred in Y5 and which has never recurred. His behaviour record is usually exemplary. The HT also did not highlight his exceptional ability in Science. The class teacher had not seen the reference. Having seen it, his CT has now written a glowing reference. His CT from his previous school has also written a glowing reference.

The basis of our appeal is:
His school record demonstrates academic ability (SAT predictions are excellent, L5s in all, plus he is on Able register for Science).
Character references demonstrate his ability and good behaviour.
Extenuating circumstances: Following the disruption of relocation mid Y4, Y5 was also very disrupted with frequent extended HTabsence, CT on maternity leave, maternity cover often away looking for permanent position, inadequate supply teacher provision.

Additional info: unusual range of hobbies best met by the GS.
Allocated school has inadequate science provision.

Please would you comment on this. Also, how overtly should we undermine the HT reference? Thank you for giving this your time. Yours Tadpole.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Tadpole

I would leave the class teachers to do the undermining! Just try to be as factual as possible:
  • Unfortunately the head made "specific reference to a small behaviour incident that occurred in Y5 and which has never recurred. His behaviour record is usually exemplary. The HT also did not highlight his exceptional ability in Science. The class teacher had not seen the reference. Having seen it, his CT has now written a glowing reference. His CT from his previous school has also written a glowing reference."
With regard to the extenuating circumstances, why would they affect his 11+ and not his excellent SATs predictions? Or has there been a marked improvement in his school work this year?
Allocated school has inadequate science provision.
I suggest: "The grammar school has better facilities than the school allocated, and would cater so much better for my son's interest in Science."

Does the grammar school do separate sciences, and the allocated school combined science? If so, it's an argument you could use.

I assume this will be a foundation school appeals panel, and I'm afraid that - on average - they tend to be tougher than LA panels.
Etienne
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Etienne, thank you for your response. Very helpful advice. The HT has now written me a very supportive and unsolicited reference which she handed me this pm at school pick up. That, combined with the other CT references, should go some way to invalidating her first reference. Also, ref, your comment on extenuating circumstances, her first reference in December put him at L5B predictions, whereas her subsequent reference predicts him achieving L5As. IYO, would this be sufficient to indicate the impact of consistent teaching from September? KRs Tadpole
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes, I like the sound of 5a's!

It's also helps your case that the head is being more supportive.

It would be worth asking the foundation school about the percentage of successful appeals in recent years (assuming that you don't know any statistics already). It will give you some idea of your chances.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now