Teachers Input

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mum of 1 and 1 to go

Teachers Input

Post by Mum of 1 and 1 to go »

We had parents evening and she had a glowing report off her teacher and has predicted Level 5's for Maths, English and Science. She is scoring the same or more on the practice SATS than her friends who passed so I know she has the ablility.

The teacher has offered to copy some of her work for me as her books are neat and full of good comments. This is good of her as she in not in favour of the 11+ really. I have to submit this all before the hearing in June. Am I best to get her books on the day as well to prove I have not been selective or will they not look at them.

Is it good that her teacher is offering to say she is predicted to get Level 5's or will it not have much bearing.
Etienne

Re: Teachers Input

Post by Etienne »

Mum of 1 and 1 to go wrote: The teacher has offered to copy some of her work for me as her books are neat and full of good comments. This is good of her as she in not in favour of the 11+ really. I have to submit this all before the hearing in June. Am I best to get her books on the day as well to prove I have not been selective or will they not look at them.
I think it's a good idea to take the books on the day, as it will show you aren't hiding anything. Every panel is different, so I can't say whether or not they will want to look at them.
Is it good that her teacher is offering to say she is predicted to get Level 5's or will it not have much bearing.
I think it's good, but I must warn you that in some parts of the country, where few appeals are allowed, a tough panel may take the view - if the 11+ consists entirely of reasoning tests - that curriculum results are not relevant.
Etienne
Mum of 1 and 1 to go

Hi, thanks so I should take it with me just in case as at least it does prove she is bright. In Calderdale the children are tested on Maths, Verbal Reasoning and a long English Essay, so they are looking at Creative Writing as well so it might help.

My DD was really poorly with a few things and was moved down a group in maths just before she sat the 11+ after missing quite a lot of school and tutor sessions. She was sent home a few times and missed about 3 weeks, which we were concerned about. We even contacted the school she was sitting for beforehand to ask their advice on our worries. She was so on and off with things at the time that we did not know whether to let her sit the test or not. She was sick straight after the test with Gastric Flu in the afternoon(we have a doctors note) and had to have the following week off school. She said during the test the words were spinning round and she had a headache.

We were pleased at her parents night as the teacher said she had seen a big drop in her work before, but since she was now much better in gerneral she was back in the top set again, and all her scores were well within Level 5.
capers123

Re: Teachers Input

Post by capers123 »

Etienne wrote:I think it's a good idea to take the books on the day, as it will show you aren't hiding anything. Every panel is different, so I can't say whether or not they will want to look at them.
If you've sent a few 'photocopies, don't worry if the panel decline the chance to look at the books, or just glance at them. It doesn't signify anything! Think of parents evenings where you're presented with a tray containing all your childs work for the term and how much time you spend looking at each one - and then multiply up by the number of appeals. A quick glance should be enough to confirm any academic results presented.

Likewise, sending in 5 bound, full colour copies of a 50 page project on wildlife in rain forests isn't really necessary :)
Capers
Mum of 1 and 1 to go

:D Thanks all for your advice. I will take them on the day and that way at least I can offer them to panel to see for themselves. Thanks everyone for your advice. I am not looking forward to the appeal but this site has been a fantastic help to me.