11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PENSBY

ERROR ON CD DISC 3 TEST 6

Post by PENSBY »

My son has just done test 6 on disc 3 and pointed out this mistake

Question says

EMIT is to TIME as MOOD is to

So answer should be DOOM

However DOOM is not there, answer D is MOOD which my son choose as the correct answer was not available, he was marked as being correct even though MOOD is wrong!

Don't know if you're aware of this mistake

We have just started preparing for Novembers 11+ on Wirral and think the cd's are fantastic I wish they had been available 3 years ago !!
PENSBY

Post by PENSBY »

Sorry forgot to say Question number,

QUESTION 19 on cd3 TEST 6
MIke Edwards

Post by MIke Edwards »

Hello Pensby

Thank you for pointing out the error on CD3. I am sure that by now the guys at elevenplusexams.co.uk have checked it out and made the necessary change. I believe that there is a free upgrade available for all purchasers of the CDs or downloads whenever a correction or change to the software has been made.

We are grateful to anyone who informs us of an error as we aim to produce an error free product. It seems that no matter how much time we spend proof-reading the "little darlings" who are completing the tests are, by far, better at spotting any mistakes than we are. However, due to the technology that is being used to create the CDs any error can be corrected immediately.

Your son seems to be well advanced in completing the CD, remember that all tests can be completed as often as he wishes so you can assess his progress in time and accuracy.

Regards

Mike Edwards
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

He's not completd the whole cd yet but is scoring 96% on average,are the cd's a good representation of the Wirral exam, we don't want to get his hopes too high!!
He seems to"enjoy" doing the tests as much as can be expected fo a 10 year old boy.
thanks Pensby
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello Pensby

The CDs were written, specifically, to "compliment" the limited material currently available from NFER, in there familiarization papers, that contain the 21 question types found in the Wirral 11+.

Remember, the NFER Practice Papers available for purchase on the high street only contain 15 question types.

The CD3 format is slightly different to the Wirral 11+, because it contains 100 questions per paper and the Wirral 11+ is an 80 question paper. We thought, for practice material, it would be useful for children to complete one paper that contains all 21 types of questions, rather than having to complete two 80 question papers. The 100 format allows parents to assess their childs ability in completing a paper with a variety of questions. Any problem areas can be quickly identified and CD1 can then be used for extra help.

The CDs are preparation tools, it is important that children, closer to the tests, are able to complete question papers in the correct format for the tests. The Tutors practice papers have been written for this purpose and can be downloaded from the site as e-papers or can be purchased in a printed version.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mike Edwards
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Please clarify:
the NFER NELSON pack of 4 papers only has 15 question types to get all 21 I need the Tutors papers. Are they different from the questions on cd3?
If we use the cd3 up to Sept and then papers from then would that be enough practice .
Are the papers published by Athey Educational any use?We bought these for our daughter 3 years ago,had no advice as to which papers to use then,she passed but I'm sure we did question types we didn't need to!

Thanks for your advice Mike
regards Pensby
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello Pensby

To clarify

NFER publish a set of four papers that are available on the high street, these are the papers that people are most familiar with. They contain 15 different question types.

NFER also publish a familiarization pack which is distributed to parents by the LEA. This pack contains the 21 different types of questions that we refer to on the site.

For children preparing for an 11+ test set by NFER they will need some exposure to the extra 6 questions. These are referred to as HIKNOS based on the IPS system and are question types 16-21 on The Tutors published papers.

The Tutors e-papers, CD1, CD3 and the free demos for both CDs contain different questions. The printed papers are the same as the e-papers.

I think working on the CDs up to the beginning of September would be good preparation. However, also give your daughter the NFER papers to work on, then concentrate on the 21 question type questions.

Athey Educational 11+ material contains some questions that are not included in the NFER 21 question types and also omit some of the types. It is not for me to say whether they are any good or not!!!

Glad to be of some help

Regards

Mike Edwards
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Dear Mike,

Thanks very much for your help,will definately check back nearer the time but think we'll be okay for a while now!This site is so helpful and friendly!

thanks again Pensby
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now