Elevenplusexams/The Tutors CD

Questions and advice about our 11 Plus Interactive CDs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

forumadmin
Site Admin

Post by forumadmin »

Dear 310196,

Following your messages on the forum above we have searched for your e-mails and bizarrely found that they were being blocked by a spam-mail filter. We will investigate. However in the meantime a new password has been sent to you by e-mail.

Kind regards,

Administrator
Interested

Post by Interested »

Sounds great. I have bought all the IPs papers, so before buying would want to know if the questions are new ones.

Interested
Interested

Post by Interested »

Sorry! I misread one of the other posts. The CD is in fact by The Tutors. Same question though, are these completely new questions or the same as in the books?

Thanks
Interested
Nita

Post by Nita »

The questions new.
Interested

Post by Interested »

I will definitely be buying then. Excellent idea!

Thanks
Interested
Laura

Practice papers for Tiffin exam

Post by Laura »

My daughter will be sitting the Tiffin exam this year, I would like to download the e-papers advertised on this site but I am not sure which ones would be the most appropriate. The exam is verbal and non-verbal reasoning multiple choice. If anyone can help that would be great.

Post by Guest »

Downloaded the CD yesterday evening and for the first time ever managed to get my son to do some practice without him moaning!! Thanks very much, the CD's a godsend. :D
Charles

Post by Charles »

Dear Laura,

Tiffin Girls School has over 900 applicants for the 120 places available last year. Therefore competition for places will be severe with only 1 in 7 or 8 girls being selected, thus the pass mark will be set very high. The papers last year were set by NFER, you therefore need something of a similar standard and as far as possible similar format to practice with.

Verbal Reasoning

For this the most important thing to bear in mind is vocabulary. Ultimately it’s the strength of the vocabulary that will determine success or failure on this paper. Kingston currently use the first 15 types of verbal reasoning questions though if the rumour mill is correct they may well resort to introducing more types or even 100 questions in 45 minutes.

First and foremost you should familiarise yourself with the types of questions out there and ensure that your child is comfortable with this. The best book for this is:

IPS Method and Technique Guide for Parents ISBN: 0954285328

Then you should buy the new CD on this website. I downloaded Verbal Reasoning Volume 1 over the weekend and I have to say that it is very impressive and exactly what was required out there. I cannot praise or recommend it enough. This will take you through all 21 types of questions that NFER use, though if you are pushed for time at least go through the first 15 on the CD. These questions are pitched at exactly the right level for 11+/12+.

Following this there are many practice papers you can buy, however in terms of ePapers, which is your question, I would recommend a series by The Tutors Papers 1 – 12. These were available on the ePapers section last year, but these have now been replaced by 1B – 12B. The original set deals with the first 15 types of verbal reasoning questions and the new B-set has all 21 types. I am personally a fan of the former however the latter may this year be more relevant if the above rumour is correct. Speak to the website and they may be able to sell you the original set.

Non-Verbal Reasoning

Make sure you have bought this physical paper:

AFN Non-Verbal Reasoning Tests A-D ISBN: 0953848760

Answering your e-papers question, the best ones I have seen are:

Eleven Plus Exams Non Verbal Reasoning Papers 1 – 3

Going back to Tiffins – this is a useful number to have: Kingston Schools Admissions 020 8547 4610, they can answer a lot of queries.

Best of luck.

Charles
(Tutor)
Laura

Post by Laura »

Dear Charles

Thank you for that hugely helpful reply re Tiffin, my daughter is currently being tutored and is scoring highly every week and she is an August born. There are so many papers out there I didn't want to waste money buying ones that were irrelevant.

Concerned about the format I do hope they don't introduce 100 questions is 45 minutes, that's the first I've heard of that. There are so many problems with school admissions in Kingston for September 2007 entry following recent Ombudsman decision and Holy Cross school changing from equal to first preference only. Any change in the exam format would be my worst nightmare at the moment.
Laura

CD

Post by Laura »

I have downloaded the CD at the weekend so my daughter can practice during the summer holidays and I've noticed that there is no section for anagrams. Can someone explain why this is as these do seem to come up on the exam papers and it's something my daughter seems to struggle with so I was rather disappointed to see that there weren't any on the CD.