CD for essex

Questions and advice about our 11 Plus Interactive CDs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hopeful

CD for essex

Post by hopeful »

Which CD has the question types used in Essex? I don't want my child spending time on question types that won't come up as he has only now decided to go for the 11+ so we are a it short of time - trying not to panic- best course of action?
Andy

Post by Andy »

Dear Hopeful,

Verbal Reasoning in Essex (consortium & outside) is set by NFER. NFER have twenty odd question types in their database.

Verbal Reasoning as a discipline is 75% vocabulary and 25% technique. The technique is particularly important when it comes to CODED words etc.

Irrespective of whether the exam you are preparing for is multiple choice or standard, mental agility in dealing with these question types and building up vocabulary is key.

This is a bit like learning say multiplication tables; you can learn on paper, you can learn by rote, you can learn by doing PC games, in the car driving down the road etc. Whichever way you do it you are improving your speed at multiplication tables and calculation technique.

In the same way, all these CDs are relevant. Verbal Reasoning CD Volume 1 differs from the others in that it gives you 50 question of each type of verbal reasoning question (see the demo - you will also see the twenty odd types of questions on volume 1) and the other volumes offer mixed practice papers on line (see each demo).

So the short answer is they are all relevant.

I used the first three for my own daughter and saw a notable improvement. I will be recomending these in future.

Andy
Tutor
Hopeful

Post by Hopeful »

Thanks Andy

I did check out the grid showing what types were used in Essex and thought it was 15 or so- I must have misread. With so little time to go I will get CD1 and see how we go. Thanks for your reply.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Dear Hopeful,

Although your child need only to be efficient at dealing with the first 15 types on CD Volume 1 the additional questions will still help build vocabulary.

Good luck with your exams.

Andy
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Hopeful and Andy

Firstly, I am not an expert on Essex.

However, my understanding, is that the VR is standard form NFER, if thats the case the first 15 will not necessarily be the correct types. Standard form also tends to include anagrams, word grids, position number codes, to name but a few.

See the following Lincs thread, they used NFER, standard form

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=589

Patricia
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now