K.E.S. Boys 2015

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yamin151

Re: K.E.S. Boys 2015

Post by Yamin151 »

Lol, you'll definitely find yourself on the "kez" side though, it just happens! Just not in front of Mr Carr.
The meeting of the headmaster is really good. Polish your boys shoes and get his hair cut! And be prepared to let your boy do the talking but get him to think about what he is looking forward to, what he is more scared about, and what he puts in the little bio that the headmaster will see before they meet (this will come with your inviation letter)
It's all very friendly and not like an interview particularly, but it is a chance to make a good impression without the pressure of a school place offer being dependent on it.
SolihullCHBMum

Post by SolihullCHBMum »

Dr_Dad wrote:Hello SolihullKESMum and Solihull2KES ! No prizes for guessing where you are based, we are in Warwick. Sounds like a great idea with regard to getting the boys together, would this be a good idea after the induction day ? Is the pre-season Rugby Training mandatory and/or open to boys who have not played before ? Thinking about summer holidays and buying kit at the most appropriate time - or buy it now 2 sizes too big :lol:
Hi Dr Dad, very happy to organise a get together in the school hols after induction day...then we can try and invite boys who's parents aren't on this forum too. :D
Jo&Co

Post by Jo&Co »

Is anyone going to the meeting on 9 May at KES re musical instruments?
We will be as we thought it was a good opportunity to meet other new starters in Sept 2015 :)
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

DS will be there representing his instrument :D

JD
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Have not been impressed by the teaching of my sons instrument. Especially as after the first term it is twice the price of his old, private teacher. We have returned to her I'm afraid. I realise this is an issue with CMS not necessarily KES, but little assessing of quality I fear.
Jo&Co

Post by Jo&Co »

Thanks both, we are looking forward to the visit and its good to get some thoughts from current parents. My son has Cello lessons with Solihull music service at the local secondary school Arden but its unlikely the time slot would work next year due to the travel time so we are keen to see what the lessons at KES are like.
Dr_Dad

Post by Dr_Dad »

Will certainly be attending on Saturday - easily identified as the parent steering DS away from large instruments or anything too "noisy" :lol: Would be interested to know of current parents views of CMS provision for Piano.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

School have a choice of providers for music tuition and so are responsible for the quality.

If there is an issue then make sure the schools knows! Our local schools use a mixture of self-employed and county staff.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I've raised it as an issue. But I do feel that what you gain in convenience in in-school music lessons you always lose in quality. Lessons are always compromised by wasted time getting to the lesson, getting sorted and beginning, or other school events or missed weeks due to inset days or whatever. Even those who run great lessons once they begin in my opinion are never such good value as those taken out of school, if possible, where you arrive in plenty of time and get the full time, even a little more, for your money. But recognise it is far less convenient.
I'm less chuffed that since my son might take his next grade out of school now, it will no longer count towards his IST Mark, which seems a little unfair. It doesn't matter of course, but does seem unfair and somewhat arbitrary.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I do feel that what you gain in convenience in in-school music lessons you always lose in quality
Interesting, but that has certainly not been our experience.

Lessons have been great and have fitted in with our request for lunctime slots all the way through school. In school lessons are rotated with a gap between so a full 30 minutes is taught. Quality has been always been very good and the teachers support in school ensembles as well as concerts.

You cannot generalise ....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now